Western Digital Ransomware Attack: Hackers Ain’t Happy

I have no idea if the hackers claims are legit in this article. If they are true then EVERYONE needs to change to local only access (no WDCloud) and block all external access to your WD NAS immediately!

Hackers who knows if they lying or not… claim that WD knowingly mislead details to the Feds about the intrusion. I honestly would be inclined to believe WD is completely clueless.

I would also not update your WD firmware as who knows if hackers already have implanted code into WD official firmware.

Hackers calling their victims corrupt, that is precious. But sounds a little bit of desperation that WD didn’t bother to offer them anything.

I had purposely left all my MCH devices operational and opened to the internet and had full access to them remotely using Tailscale all through the period that the WDC servers were down. I have not seen one trace or ping that would suggest the hackers had any clue of how to get through to the My Cloud Home. I had already enabled local access on the MCH for many months.

These hackers sounded like Russian hackers, but that could be just a misdirection.

For those who are really concerned about their MCH and wish to isolate their MCH from the internet, this diagram is one way of doing it for little or no cost. You would replace the My Cloud shown with a My Cloud Home (MCH) of course but understand that the MCH does not have a static IP setting - therefore a DHCP server has to run on the PC or Mac, and that could be done as a service. Once the MCH received the IP assignment from the DHCP server, the ethernet adapter of the PC and the Mac will need to match on the same subnet in order for the switch to connect the devices. The ethernet is basically working without a router in this case but the Wifi router will be providing the internet only to the PC and Mac but not the MCH. It is self evident that each PC and each Mac required one ethernet and one WiFi adapter for this set up. An inexpensive USB3 ethernet or USB WiFi adapter would suffice if no built in adapter is available.

All Europe and the United States have been frightened by Russian hackers for 50 years now by Chinese… Although most of the industries themselves were placed there… Turn off the TV with old Beedon and enjoy life…

2 Likes