Western Digital Network Share Issue

I have noticed a number of other posts here in regards to the issues with “seeing” shares from the new little WDTV live ( black box).  I differ a little. Here is goes…

I have 2 WDTV’s.  One WDTV live plus ( little gray ) and a new WDTV (black/wifi)

I have both on my Gigabit network.  I have my media stored on a Nas ( dlink 323).  Open share, no permissions needed.

With little gray, no issues.  I turn it on, it sees my Nas, click on a video.  It previews, click again and it plays.

Now, with the new black one.  I turn it on.  I see the Nas.  I click and i see the file structure.  I can browse through all my media. BUT… it will not play anything.  it doesn’t even preview.  When I click on the file - I get a spinning hourglass indefinately. 

So it sees everything but wont play.

The only way I have been able to get around this is to go into setup> system > reboot device.  This does a hard reboot of the device only.  It doesnt reset any settings.  It reboots and now I can play the files.

I turn off the device  ( feels like more of a sleep mode rather than off ) and I have to reboot it manually to play anything again. 

Totally weird.  I have the latest WD update from earlier this week as well.  Little Grat - still going strong without a blip.

This has gotta be a bug with the new WD.  Any suggestions… WD fix this please!!!

That sounds about right - bug in the new model - I just borrowed my son’s older 1st gen and it’s been working fine for over a week,

The newer 3rd gen model seem to ‘forget’ the shares and a re-boot will fix it - but not all the time, a few re-boots then it’s OK.

I too have turned off Homegroups and the 2 related services. No change.

There must be someting different with Win 7 and networking shares advertising.

I also should point I also have a laptop running Win 7 and a few shares, these will only show up when the others show up - which is why I tried the older model to test.

The older model works fine…