Western Digital My Book Essential 1 TB not recognized by Windows

Hello!

Bought myself a Western Digital My Passport ® 1TB Silver that didn’t work. So I returned it and bought a Western Digital My Book Essential 1 TB (model: WDBACW0010HBK-EESN) that also won’t work. The hard drive seems to work perfectly normal, but my computer will, for some reason don’t work with it. Windows does not recognize the disk. When I plug it into the USB port Windows searches for the driver, but can not find any. In devicemanager is it under “Other devices” - “My Book 1140” with a yellow exclamation point. I have downloaded the driver from the WD website, but it won’t still be recognized by Windows. I have tried to add the drivers manually with no success. I have also downloaded all the other programs WD offers and nothing works. It’s also not recognized by the WD Diagnostics. But it comes up under “View devices and printers” under controlpanel. I also tried to fix it trough Microsoft Fix It with no success.

I’m completely stuck and do not know what to do. It didn’t followed any CD or similar. This basically works with USB 3.0, but according to WD it works with 2.0. I have 2.0 and it is enabled in the BIOS and recognized by BIOS. I have tried all USB ports that I have. All the other drivers in my computer is updated. 

(I have Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit)

Any suggestions?

What driver did you download?

Check for Bios updates and USB controller drivers

you can uninstall the USB drivers and then reinstall from the motherboards web

You know there seems to be a lot of disscution on this subject. It seems that some of the WD techies would be monotoring these forums for topics of people having problems with their products.

I just recently bought a brand new Netgear R6300 Router and their tech support people monitor the reviews in Amazon where I bought it.

Seems like the right thing to do.

Just wish they would do something smart like that here.

I know I have not solved anyones issue with this problem but had to let others know what I think of WD Support for their products.