WDTV Live Limited Public Beta Firmware Version 1.03.43_V (10/19/10)

Obviously when I disconnect the HDMI cable from the TV on the screen appears “No signal”, but with this firmware no message appears because WD is sending some signal, with 1.02.21 and even 1.03.42 this bug was not present, when turning off the unit after a few seconds my tv showed “no signal”.

TV is Sony Bravia KDL 40W4500, WDTV Live V1.03.43

No changes from V1.03.40, V1.03.41, V1.03.42, I repeat my old report:

• 12-color depth still not working (blank screen only)

• if WDTV Live is set to 1080p 60Hz RGB High, it works fine, but if you turn off TV for a few minutes (wait to hear “click” from the TV), then on again, WDTV drops to 1080p 60Hz RGB Low, and I have to set it again to RGB High. There was no problem like that with V1.02.21, but the same problem is at V1.03.40, V1.03.41, V1.03.42.
      It happens even if the WDTV is turned on all the times, also if you put a playback on a “pause” - it is enough just to turn TV off.

• most of the times, after turning off WDTV, the 1080p/60Hz setting is remembered, but the other times it drops to 720p/60Hz, and RGB High setting is almost never remembered.

• still no 1080p/23.976 fps support

HDMI audio is not functioning correctly.

Reading the following email, I ran an optical cable from the WDTV Live to my amp.  DTS and DD played fine from the optical under 1.03.43_V, will not play or only play stereo through HDMI.

The current official release HDMI works fine. 

Please allow uncompressed audio to be sent through both the HDMI and optical out.

The other features seem to be working well.  Auto for HDMI video does not appear to work correctly, but if I set to the highest setting, HDMI video works.

Fix the audio, and I’m a happy camper.

Earlier email:

with previous firmware when you choose digital option, uncompressed audio is sent through optical audio out and HDMI at the same time to connect the device to an A/V decoder with dolby digital and DTS.

I noticed that this firmware is downmixing dolby digital bitstreams over HDMI to stereo, and this is wrong, because newer A/V receivers has the ability to connect a device by HDMI to decode dolby digital and DTS bitstreams, so if you have one of those you will only hear STEREO!!

WD please fix this because I have one of those receivers!!!

FYI, I also tested this new firmware and it does not fix my HDMI sync issue.  I also tried unplugging/replugging in the power and also the reset button and after each the sync still gets lost when switching my reciever away to another source and coming back.  After unplugging the power cord and plugging back in the HDMI is found.

same problem here update 1.03.43 and unplug/plug again the power WDTV splash screen and in seconds go

to no signal.

Problematic update:

After the new update didn’t work out, I revered to 1.03.22 - but now there is no sound in 1.03.22 … videos play and look fine, but utter silence.

ricardorb6 wrote:

I think nobody is paying attention to what i’m saying, after turning off WD keeps sending video signal, that means it’s not getting in stand by mode for any reason, at least for video output.

Still remain the issue when browsing photos, they look pixelated, they look ugly.

Yes, the WD doesn’t turn of, it just sends a black picture or something - Its been that way forever - you have to pull the plug on it.

Also, the HDMI is really borked this i tried to go into settings and simply chose AUTO all the way and it told me the TV didn’t support that resolution! And then it defaulted to showing the menu in a really ugly resolution.

Returning to the old firmware had the menu look normal again.

pcabo2007 wrote:

The “WDTV Live Limited Public Beta Firmware Version 1.03.42_V” thread is now closed. So I post my message here.

That’s because 42 is now gone - you were too late, now we are talking about 43_V

I reset the unit to the factory settings and it seems that HDMI auto option is working normal, but still remains the black screen issue when WD is turned off…

Also the downmixing problem with AC3 audio over HDMI must be fixed!

I think everyone should do the same to see what happens…

What does it mean the new option in audio output setting? before it was only stereo and digital but now they put a new one named “digital without HDMI audio”… what is this for?.. WD staff let me remain you that some people have A/V receivers with HDMI input to decode digital audio like Dolby digital and DTS and as far as I tested this firmware when we choose “digital” option the sound over HDMI is in stereo but when we choose this new option no sound is coming out of HDMI… I don’t get it…

Is there any way to force the unit to look for firmware in the USB drive?  Mine will only search the network for an update, even when I disable the network by unplugging the CAT5 cable.

WeeDee wrote:

This version has finally fixed the HDMI resolution reverting issue for me.

Unfortunately it happened again. :frowning:

The unit was off for more than 10 hours, and when I turned it on the resolution was set to 720p instead of 1080p.

regarding the HDMI resolution.

My WDTV Live goes via my AV Reciever and then into my Sammy.

On startup all three boxes are handshaking and the Sammy reports the resolution as 720p as most here have commented.

However once I actually select something to play it usually shoots up to whatever the resolution of the file is e.g. 1080p, 1080i etc.

So from here it looks as if the 720p is an initial default handshake until the WDTV has something to show whereupon it renegotiates.

Hence the question to those concerned about the 720p start up is: does it stay like this if you play something with a higher res?

ricardorb6 wrote:

Obviously when I disconnect the HDMI cable from the TV on the screen appears “No signal”, but with this firmware no message appears because WD is sending some signal, with 1.02.21 and even 1.03.42 this bug was not present, when turning off the unit after a few seconds my tv showed “no signal”.

My LG LCD (model 32LH35) does the same. Its very annoying as I’m never sure if the TV is off.

My TV also switches itself off if there is no signal for about 10 mins.

I’ve been reporting this since the BETAs first were released :frowning:

I’ve also wondered how this will affect the lifespan and power usage of the player if they don’t fix it.

The unit can’t be completely in standby when its doing this.

Can anyone from WD comment … ???

Hello, I’m new here so sorry for my bad English. 

With two last fw upgrades I have still problems with HDMI. After turning WD off for several hours it stuck on composite output. Then I turn it off and on again and then it recognizes HDMI (760p 60 Hz). My LCD is Panasonic with max. 1080 p 60 Hz. I’ve done all the factory resetting and rebooting but still the same.  Now my WD is constantly scanning my HDD (WD Elements 1 TB). It is not much of the problem because I can normally access the content, but I wonder why. Any suggestion…   

A further thing noticed.

Since upgrading the unit seems to take a long time to start up.

When I switch it on I get the WDTV logo in the centre of the screen and the power LED lights up pretty much right away, and then nothing. My screen goes black and reports no signal.

But I wait.

After what seems like a minute or so the USB LED begins to flash and I again get a new logo and the unit comes alive with the screen obviously getting a signal.

What is taking place during the power on and the USB handshake?

Is this debug code or is it stuck?

God, I wish they would update this several times a week, so we could get somewhere.

jehale wrote:

A further thing noticed.

Since upgrading the unit seems to take a long time to start up.

When I switch it on I get the WDTV logo in the centre of the screen and the power LED lights up pretty much right away, and then nothing. My screen goes black and reports no signal.

But I wait.

After what seems like a minute or so the USB LED begins to flash and I again get a new logo and the unit comes alive with the screen obviously getting a signal.

What is taking place during the power on and the USB handshake?

Is this debug code or is it stuck?

They had to remove the Standby feature as the power usage didn’t comply with new EU standards or something silly.

So, whenever you hit the Power button, it’s shutting down entirely.  It’s booting up from cold every time (hence the longer load times).  Unfortunately that’s here to stay.

The alternative is to leave the WD on all the time, which is pretty much what it used to do before this change.

… but keep in mind, that change was made in HARDWARE, not software.  

My Live still boots as quickly as it always did, as long as I don’t pull the plug.

The Live “Next Gen” has the same power controller MCU as ALL Live+'s, so it’s based on When yours was manufactured as to which behavior you’ll see.

so far…

youtube has stopped working all of a sudden. i keep getting the no content error msg.

wd tv live has crashed 4 times (become unresponsive) whilst i was going thru my video collection in thumbnail mode (network share)…