WDTV Live Limited Public Beta Firmware Version 1.03.43_V (10/19/10)

This version has finally fixed the HDMI resolution reverting issue for me.

Hi! I don’t know if i should bother to install this since i don’t have had any HDMI problems what i know of.

Can someone report if the wifi connection is still there?

From what i can read this release is just fixing the HDMI problems…

WeeDee wrote:

This version has finally fixed the HDMI resolution reverting issue for me.

Can you eplaine to me how HDMI auto “should” work, if you set it at auto is it supposed to adjusts it self to various screen resolutions or why is there an auto option?

As far as i know it will set the highest possible resolution that your TV can handle, and the highest refresh rate, as well.

– Seems to have (finally) corrected the issue where the Live would bounce back to COMPOSITE(PAL) or COMPOSITE(NTSC) when downstream HDMI device was shut down.

– HDMI(AUTO) doesn’t work correctly; it picks 720p60 instead of 1080p60.

– Audio is out of sync with Video (audio ahead) when set to 1080p24 mode.

– Bad Framerate issue watching some MKVs when set to 1080p24 mode (MKVs are 23.97fps and should not do that.)

AVTRnut wrote:

Does this have any fixes for the hdmi audio problems? (no ac3 bitstream on hdmi connector  - will only go on the optical connector)?

I don’t have that issue; I tested AC3 2.0  AC3 5.1 and DTS 5.1 (from VOB files) with no issues on HDMI at all.   What filetypes are you using that give you that problem?

upgraded no problems

booting up does seem a tad slow but this could be me just being impatient.

mkv files hit and miss.

think I have found cause for this though.

all the files I am having trouble with were encoded first as mp4 by Turbo 264 HD and then wrapped as mkvs via mkvToolnix.

all the mkvs that are ok were either initially encoded using Handbrake or DVDRemaster.

so I am guessing Turbo does something that WDTV Live just can’t handle.

is anyone else using Turbo to encode?

After my previous post I thought I would search on TURBO to see if any other reports were here.

Seems it has been raised before.

Back in July actually.

No solution offered except re-encode.

drats.:cry:

Still doesn’t work. Same problem as the last many versions. No HDMI is negotiated. TV says there is “No video signal”

WeeDee wrote:

As far as i know it will set the highest possible resolution that your TV can handle, and the highest refresh rate, as well.

Thanks! Now i understand! I tried my way around untill my TV accepted and then i used the highest i accepted. :slight_smile:

I think nobody is paying attention to what i’m saying, after turning off WD keeps sending video signal, that means it’s not getting in stand by mode for any reason, at least for video output.

Still remain the issue when browsing photos, they look pixelated, they look ugly.

Hi!

Of course, the HDMI handshake issues still remain. When I powered off and after a few minutes powered on again the WDTV Live, blanck screen-no signal- on the HDMI output. I am very deceptioned, I think the WD is incapable to make a good firmware for WDTV Live.

Of course, roll-back to the fw.1.02.21( at the 6th time, I think).

Of course, on the composite output.

My TV is LG Scarlett 42LG6000.

ricardorb6 wrote:

I think nobody is paying attention to what i’m saying, after turning off WD keeps sending video signal, that means it’s not getting in stand by mode for any reason, at least for video output.

Still remain the issue when browsing photos, they look pixelated, they look ugly.

A television does not have the same resolution capability as a PC LCD Monitor, Also if your photos are very low resolution, when they are fitted to the screen they would most suredly look worse.

My Sharp DLP Projector which can only do 720P max, works fine with this release. And it goes BLUE screen when you power off the WD TV LIVE, and it says no signal, working just like its supposed to.

What happens to your TV when you pull the HDMI cable out of the WD TV LIVE, does it go into standby then ??

Newer hardware revisions of the WDTV Live completely shut down power to EVERYTHING.

Older releases did not.  That could be an issue.

[removing statement where I errantly claimed my WDTV Live shuts down the video]

No, it doesn’t… my mistake.   Mine does stay enabled.

WD TV Live + LG 42LH5000 = still select 720p@50Hz in HDMI auto mode instead  1080p

The “WDTV Live Limited Public Beta Firmware Version 1.03.42_V” thread is now closed. So I post my message here.

A week ago I failled in installing Beta Firmware Version 1.03.42_V. I followed the instruction and I stopped watching the screen when the WDTV Live was restarting. When I came back about half an hour later the WDTV Live was off. It is impossible to turn it on since then. Unplugging and plugging the power adapter has no effect, pressing the reset button neither. When the firmware update was running the AC cable, the usb flash memory containing the update, the HDMI cable and the AV OUT cable were plugged on the WDTV Live. All the other plugs including the second usb port were free. There was no power cut during that time.

I asked for advance RMA.

Any idea about what happened?

So you’re saying the LED wouldn’t even come on when you plugged in the power?

If that’s the case, yeah, it probably died.

If the power WAS coming on, there’s a chance it was in an unsupported HDMI mode.   Plugging in the COMPOSITE cable and using that would then give you a picture.

A few hours ago I noticed that when switching from the HDMI input WD is connected, to another HDMI input on the TV and then switch back again, video output was again in compsite video, this is so anoying.

with previous firmware 1.02.21 photos look normal, they don’t look pixelated like they do with this beta firmware, even with 1.03.42 they show pixelated.

No issues with the update for me.

It installed fine.

I’m running a Sharp Aquos 52" LCD via HDMI. So far no issues I can spot.