WDC WD20EARS Fails Data Life Guard Ouick and Extended tests

Hi,

I have  a WDC WD20EARS for 3 months and the drive fails both ouick and extended data life guard tests. The results are these:

Test Option: QUICK TEST
Model Number: WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0
Unit Serial Number: [Deleted]
Firmware Number: 51.0AB51
Capacity: 2000.40 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: FAIL
Test Error Code: 06-Quick Test on drive 1 did not complete! Status code = 07 (Failed read test element), Failure Checkpoint = 97 (Unknown Test) SMART self-test did not complete on drive 1!
Test Time: 00:28:35, March 08, 2011

Test Option: EXTENDED TEST
Model Number: WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0
Unit Serial Number: [Deleted]
Firmware Number: 51.0AB51
Capacity: 2000.40 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: FAIL
Test Error Code: 08-Error was detected while repairing bad sectors.
Test Time: 09:16:45, March 08, 2011

My question is what should i do next. The drive has warranty. Schould i take the drive back to the store for replacement??

I live in Germany. Please advise. Will i get a new drive or a refurbisched drive?

Thanx!

Since the tests have failed, the drive is really going to fail or is failing.  Save the resulting from Data Life Guard and find the RMA process.  I live in North America and the RMA process is abut 3 weeks.  In other conutries, it has been sometime 6 months.

I believe that it would be safest for the store to replace your drive. AIUI, WD will send you a refurbished unit whereas the store is likely to give you a new drive from stock.

I have nearly the same problem but in fact completely different.

The point is, since yesterday I get an error in Windows 7 telling me that my hard drive (WDC WD20EARS …) will maybe not work anymore. I downloaded the tool from WD support page and ran the quick test, which could not be finished because of an error (see the picture in the appendix). Then I thought I maybe would get further information or some other critical errors when running the extended test. But it completed without any errors. That curious, I think.

Is the quick test, or let’s say S.M.A.R.T reliable? Or is everything working fine because of the extended test?

I have nearly the same problem but in fact completely different.
The point is, since yesterday I get an error in Windows 7 telling me that my hard drive (WDC WD20EARS …) will maybe not work anymore. I downloaded the tool from WD support page and ran the quick test, which could not be finished because of an error (see the picture in the appendix). Then I thought I maybe would get further information or some other critical errors when running the extended test. But it completed without any errors. That curious, I think.

Is the quick test, or let’s say S.M.A.R.T reliable? Or is everything working fine because of the extended test?

Thanks in advance!

smart.png

self_test.png

AIUI, the extended test scans the drive for bad sectors. Your drive appears good in this respect.

However, AIUI, a failure in the End-to-End Error count suggests that there is a problem with the drive’s cache RAM.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.#Known_ATA_S.M.A.R.T._attributes

That said, several people have reported problems with this particular attribute after updating the firmware on a Seagate drive using the Windows version of Seagate’s updater. One person even reported that his Intel SSD was affected in a similar manner.

I notice that Data LifeGuard detects your drive as drive #2. Do you also have a Seagate drive?

Thanks for your quick response - I am impressed.

Indeed, my first hdd is a Seagate. I have to mention that the Seagate drive is a bit older and I manually made no firmware update to this drive. But in fact I have no idea if maybe windows update could do this to improve interoperability. I guess not.

The WD drive on the other hand is brand new - what means only a few weeks old. Since yesterday I had no problems. I saved all my data on a separate USB drive and experienced no further problems today - except Windows still told me that something could be wrong with the WD drive. If there is another solution than bringt it back to the retailer I would be very thankful. Maybe you know any solution if you have heard of that problem.

Thanks in advance!

I very much doubt that your WD problem has anything to do with the Seagate drive. In fact I am at a loss to understand how Seagate’s firmware updater was able to affect those other drives in this way.

As for a solution, I suspect that it would involve replacing the SDRAM chip on the drive’s PCB, if that is indeed the culprit. However, I doubt that you would want to do that.

FYI, the following document explains the End-to-End Error Count attribute:

SMART IV Technology on HP Business Desktop Hard Drives:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01159621/c01159621.pdf