WD TVLive keeps restarting

WD TV Live keeps re-starting on power up. After some time (often a very long time) boots into main screen and after that works. Reset occurs after “Connecting network…” message, sometimes on the previous (dim) screen. Playing only music FLAC and MP3, crashes sometimes. Latest firmware, but I think it started couple versions back. Two identical unites do exact same thing. Tried removing all USB devices, disable network (can’t really do it, but sort of when selecting “wired” with no cable). Any idea? Any log file somewhere I can look? Somehow re-start in diagnostic mode? Thanks.

Hello,

have you tried a factory restore and/or power cycle?

VladK1 wrote:
WD TV Live keeps re-starting on power up. After some time (often a very long time) boots into main screen and after that works. Reset occurs after “Connecting network…” message, sometimes on the previous (dim) screen. Playing only music FLAC and MP3, crashes sometimes. Latest firmware, but I think it started couple versions back. Two identical unites do exact same thing. Tried removing all USB devices, disable network (can’t really do it, but sort of when selecting “wired” with no cable). Any idea? Any log file somewhere I can look? Somehow re-start in diagnostic mode? Thanks.

Mine started doing that (first time I noticed anyway) around December when I changed all my home networking stuff around, routers, etc. I found that with no  Internet connection it would reboot endlessly. When Internet connection restored, it boots first try. I found this true on fw 2.02.32 and 2.01.86 on two different WDs.  

I’ve been running these boxes a few years. I can’t imagine I never had the situation where my ISP was out but it seems like it will now make my WD boxes reboot. I swear I remember my ISP being down and me watching movies sourced on my local network during the outage. I’m sorry I don’t have more complete info for you because once I got everything working I did not want to mess it up intentionally just to further diagnose the situation.

Any way you can restore working Internet connection and see if it helps?

I did hard reset. Both units seems working better now. To the contrary I think Wi-Fi and/or internet connection is the cause of endless re-starts. I also notices that from stand-by they boot much better than from deep power down (holding power button for 5 sec). I think stand-by is bad because, first, the unit remains warm (i.e. keeps draining power) and second, it would not power down attached USB HD. Additional grievance after reset I can’t get back slide show as screen saver anymore. It has to be a diagnostic mode of some sort kinda Windows “safe boot with log”.