WD TV Play

You-tube works as it should, but when I use the Home key to exit, the unit freezes with a blank screen.  If I wait 45-60 seconds and press Home again, it then takes me to the home menu.  I tried factory reset but no luck.  Any help would be appreciated.

Hello,

Make sure you are running on the latest firmware.

My unit has the latest firmware.  I have no alerts.  I’ve asked WD for assistance, but so far, have no reply.

Well, last night, I power the unit up and after a short period of ‘loading’, Youtube works just as it should.  I know I’ve tried it at least 25 times after I got the device and it never would exit with the Home key as it’s supposed to.  Now it works!

I tried unplugging and starting over, I tried the factory reset option, neither of which made any difference.  Very strange indeed.

oh yeah… i thinks the youtube app it’s bugged or the latest firmware 1.05.47 it’s bugged!

I have the same “problems”:

I used the TV RCA output (not the hdmi) and sometime when i use youtube app to navigate video after a search i obtain this BLACK screen and at this point i can only SHUTDOWN my wdtvplay removing the powersupply.

Same exact problem. Youtube app acts laggy then suddenly black screens. I tried lowering the video quality for all videos in my youtube options to no avail. Needs a fix.

same thing here, i just bought this cause its new and its suppossed to be better than the first wd tv live i used to have.

but youtube freeze and the entire system goes to black, i have to take the power out and initiates again, even then the system takes forever. the old one was slow but strong, and if i want to put a movie through my network to my disk in the wd play, i cannot access through network!!! i dont want to stream via network just see my HDD to copy movies!!!

im very dissapointed with this.

RPMCAM wrote:

same thing here, i just bought this cause its new and its suppossed to be better than the first wd tv live i used to have.

but youtube freeze and the entire system goes to black, i have to take the power out and initiates again, even then the system takes forever. the old one was slow but strong, and if i want to put a movie through my network to my disk in the wd play, i cannot access through network!!! i dont want to stream via network just see my HDD to copy movies!!!

im very dissapointed with this.

Who said it was better than anything? Its a new player but its not necessarily better, in fact it leaves a lot to be desired. You cannot play via network shares and it does not do mpeg2. Research is the best thing before you buy anything.

I spoke too soon on my last post a few weeks back.  I said my WD TV starting working.  Well, it did but not it’s back to its old tricks.  Using the ‘Home’ key to exit YouTube caused my screen to go blank.  I have to wait 40-60 seconds and press Home again. Now it will exit as it should.  It would seem YouTube with WD TV needs some work.

RPMCAM wrote:

You are the second person I saw a post from recently who assumed because the WD Play was newer, it was therefore better.  Get that idea out of your head immediately.  “Newer” does not equal “better”.  The iPad mini is newer, but it sure ain’t better than the more expensive one!  It just has less screen display and other “less things” about it so it can be sold for less money.  Same principle applies to media players and zillions of other products.

Just an update for those interested.  After discussions with WD, they decided to replace the WD TV Play with another unit.  I installed the new unit and it worked perfectly with Youtube, for about one day!  Then it also started doing the exact same thing.

1.  Freezing for up to one minute when exiting by selecting Main Menu.

2.  Freezing at times when reviewing video selections.  Having to wait up to one minute to exit.

3.  Freezing when just viewing screen selections. Having to wait before Main Menu will work.

I think WD should be taking a hard look at why WD TV Play and Youtube is not working as it should.

bm