this is my first post … I bought my frst WD player this year, so please forgive if I missed something already discussed here, or draw false conclusions because I am not totally familiar with the box yet.
Generally the box works fine most of the time, but now I am seeking help/inputs to get it 100% stable. Right now I get around 1 malfunktion per week, which seriously dismals what marketing people call “user experience” nowadays. Wireshark captures are available. The issues do randomly appear and go away after PC and WD box reboots. The Workstation sharing the media is WIndows 7 pro, the box is a WD TV live with latest firmware, connection via 100MBit ethenet cable.
Issue #1 The WD box fails to recognize the master browser, as well as the workgroup browser. The Wireshark packet trace shows the WD local broadcast for __msbrowse__ and workbroup<1B>, I see the machine holding the browser role (which is not the same machine as the one holding the media share) respond by sending a directed packet to the WD, and I see the WD send another browser query, over and over, endlessly…
Conclusion #1: the WD box browsing code has two faults: sometimes it does not pick up browser query responses, and it does not implement a timeout when searching for a browser. These two issues lead to an endless loop when trying to find Windows shares.
And off topic, having almost two decades of experience with the dreaded Windows Browser and having seen Microsofts pointless attempts to fix it. At some point I lost confidence they ever get it right. I strongly recommend that WD does not entirely rely on the Windows browser, but does also implement a setup screen where one may enter \server\share directly.
Issue #2: when tracing failures, sometimes I see the Windows PC responcd with “out of server memory” SMB error packets when the WD tries to login to access the share. Now the message is clearly an idication of a windows server service fault, there is plenty of memory and any other space I can think of available at the PC side, and the WD is the only active session, but nevertheless this WIndows problem sets off a series of quite unpleasant automatisms on the WD box:
(when the WD tried to connect)
- the box displays misleading username rejects / password faults in an endless loop
(when the box attempts to access the media share)
the box claims that I removed the share
the box removes the share from the Media Library
Its especially the last decision which I think is a poor one, since it does permanent damage to the box configuration. Less experienced users in my household like Grandma and the Kids are able to reboot the equipment to fix things, but after this issue arises they would have to re-browse the Windows network, re-attach the share and wait for the Media Library to rebuild (which, btw, takes some time when you have 400+ videos stored on the share) - this is way beyound their knowledge and patience.
Conclusion #2: OK, there is an unresolved issue in my Windows PC setup, but it triggers a very clumsy series af poor descisions in the WD box, leading to permanent removal of the media share from the Media Library. I wish I could somehow freeze the WD setup once done and tested properly, so network related failures do not inflict such great damage.
And just to mention it: before I sunk an Ethernet cable into the livin room wall, I tried to operate the box on WLAN. Though I have ecellent WLAN conditions in my living room (~4m distance to Access Pont, free air) with dozens of WLAN devices, mostly PCs and Smartphones, having operated flawlessly I noted that the WD crashes are fare more frequent when operating via the WLAN. Now I have around 1 crash per week, operating on WLAN its more like 1 crash per day, but this is a different story, and I am - for other reasons - happy to have the cable anyway.
Any comments helping me to resolve the SMB issues are welcome