WD TV Live Hub Media Centre

I have a couple of these around the house and despite the regular Network Boot Problem they have served us well over the years. However, for the past couple of months I’ve noticed that when I try to download metadata from The Movie Database I only get the text (xml) part, I don’t get any background files or a metathumb image file. Getting the same data for TV programme still works fine and I get text, backgrounds and metathumb image. Since this occurs on more than one Media Centre I think it is a remote problem with the link to the movie database. Does anyone have any ideas what happened and if there is a fix?

Websites change/update APIs which can break how Info and Artwork Scrappers work.

I use a Raspberry Pi 3 with Kodi and the TMDB plugin/scrapper gets updated everytime the TMDB does an API update/change.

With the WDTV Media Players the scrapper is built into the Firmware. And can only be updated with a firmware update … which they no longer do, as they are discontinued devices.

The only way you a going to be able to get the background and metathumb, is to use PC Media software (but most software like Thumbgen or WDHubgen are all out of date as well) or manually download the images and place them next to the movie files. (metathumb is just a jpg … so just change the file extension)