WD TV Live & DTS-HD Master Audio?

I can’t get DTS-HD to work, everything else works, even DD True-HD works fine.
My setup:
WD Elements 2Tb—>USB—>WDTVLiveHD—>HDMI—>Onkyo 7.1 receiver—>HDMI—>LG LCD 42" Full-HD
Onkyo receiver supports DD True-HD & DTS-HD Master Audio.
Help appreciated
/Fenka

DTS-HD isn’t supported.

If the new firmware is a 7.1 pass through then it should be like a PCM setting it would send the signal to the reciever and the reciever would encode the audio right? You may see a different coding on reciever but the files are there I have done a blue ray ISO and I kept the DTS mater audio only and my WD makes it show DTS on my reciever and plays the audio. Next time I will pick a 7.1 DTS master and see. Any more clarification on this owuld be apreciated

Thanx!

Tried “Stereo”-settings in WD Live, the receiver coding become PCM, but no change in sound quality…

Please report back on that 7.1 DTS master you’re about to try.

/Fenka

tm224 wrote:

If the new firmware is a 7.1 pass through then it should be like a PCM setting it would send the signal to the reciever and the reciever would encode the audio right? You may see a different coding on reciever but the files are there I have done a blue ray ISO and I kept the DTS mater audio only and my WD makes it show DTS on my reciever and plays the audio. Next time I will pick a 7.1 DTS master and see. Any more clarification on this owuld be apreciated

We’re all trying to figure out what “7.1 passthrough” actually means.

Possibly it’s for DD TrueHD or another Dolby codec.  

It might be for PCM 7.1 but since PCM 5.1 doesn’t passthrough correctly, that seems unlikely (or just plain stupid).

It’s definitely not for DTS-HD because WD will never support it for the current Live range (Live, Plus and Hub).

Hopefully WD do fix multichannel PCM (5.1 and 7.1), so that people with DTS-HD files can transcode the audio stream to PCM and play files with HD audio that way.

For DTS-HD, maybe Tony should have said more than just “not supported”. It is not supported via HDMI bitstreaming, but the same DTS-HD audio can be played, and is decoded (sort of) and the core DTS track is available via Live+ optical output. It is a compromise, but it is a functional work-around if the movie only has DTS-HD audio.

Since (AFAIK) 7.1 audio can not go via S/PDIF optical –and- DTS-HD (if it has 7.1) can not be bitstreamed (due to WDTV Live limitations)… it is my belief that “support for 7.1 audio” should not associated to DTS-HD. Since TrueHD does work via HDMI bitstream, having 7.1 within a True-HD audio track should work.

Separate from DTSHD and TrueHD,… 7.1 audio could be supported via a PCM audio track within a given movie… this must be done via HDMI and not optical output.

I do not have a HD audio AVR, (and only a 5.1 setup) so I am unable to help further or confirm the news about 7.1 support.

Sorry for repeating words already stated by Grant or others.

Good Luck.