WD TV HD Media Player (Gen 1) & WD TV LIVE HD Media Player - lack of support

Hi everyone,

i own 2 WD media players:

-  WD TV HD Media Player (Gen 1) 

-  WD TV LIVE HD Media Player

I have some bluray films encoded to mkv files, but i only can play them in the WD TV LIVE media player, they don´t start in the WD TV HD media player.

My question is, the WD TV HD will not have support anymore?

WD will not release at least updates to support new codecs releases and video formats, for the old products?

thks.

The WD TV HD (Gen1 and pretty much the Gen2 as well) is a discontinued and unsupported product.

There won’t be any more updates for it.  WD seem to have their hands full with the Live, Plus and Hub.

But at least they should maintain the product operable giving codec and video formats support.

So i have no other option that to throw the product away because in a few months it will be just rubbish.

MKV isn’t a codec…  It’s a container.

The codec support for the Gen 1 is rather broad;  post the MEDIAINFO for one of the files in the WDTV HD section of the forum to see if anyone can figure out why it won’t play.  My guess is the AUDIO TYPE is not compatible.   If it’s Blu-Ray, it’s most likely DTS, and the Gen 1 isn’t licensed for DTS.

My opinion is that they should, at the minimum, support all codecs / containers that were advertised as supported at time of release / sale.

Stuff like the header compression issue in MKVs should be fixed, as header compression was always part of the spec (just rarely implemented). 

However, they’re not going to fix anything on EOL products.

The bin seems the only place for the Gen1 now, unless you can spend the time re-encoding media to work around its flaws…

Post up the MediaInfo for some of your non-working files.  It might just be a case of remuxing them or converting the audio, which isn’t as time consuming as re-encoding the entire movie.

-edit-

Oh yeah, like Tony says, best to take further conversation to the WD TV HD forum.  There are more people there that own Gen1’s that can help.  :)

diogoni wrote:

Hi everyone,

i own 2 WD media players:

-  WD TV HD Media Player (Gen 1) 

-  WD TV LIVE HD Media Player

I have some bluray films encoded to mkv files, but i only can play them in the WD TV LIVE media player, they don´t start in the WD TV HD media player.

My question is, the WD TV HD will not have support anymore?

WD will not release at least updates to support new codecs releases, for the old products?

thks.

Remux your mkv’s with the header compression turned off and they should work on the other players.