WD solves bitstream of DTS-HDMA on WD TV Play?

#1

I have the 2nd gen of WD TV Live and it works fine for me, except the bitstream of the HD audio. I have lots of MKVs with HD audio included, Live can bitstream the Dolby TrueHD but can’t do DTS-HDMA, only DTS core is bit streamed. And WD states it is because of the license restriction that I think doesn’t make sense for bit streaming to my receiver.

If anyone has got the new WD TV Play, could you please help check if it has the capability of bitstream the DTS-HDMA audio? Someone in other post says it will bitstream the DTS and DTS-HDMA, but it is really strange to me that an entry level model supports it but the Live doesn’t. Has WD solve the license problem in some way? Please someone who has got the Play help to confirm it, really appreciated it.

DTS-MA. A blindingly obvious solution
(new) codec to play stereo with HDMI connection
#2

Yes, the Play does pass-through DTS-HD.

However, there appears to be misconception about DTS-HD pass-through on the SMP/HUB. 

The reason that the SMP/HUB can’t pass-through DTS-HD is because they are under the DTS license, but not not DTS-HD license.  So the reason that WD can’t implement DTS-HD pass-through, even through it doesn’t require a license to do so,  is because if they did it would affect the DTS license.  Meaning if WD implemented DTS-HD pass-through, they would lose their DTS licensing.  The only way to have both (DTS & DTS-HD) is to be licensed for both, and without the DTS licensing the SMP/HUB could not downmix which would affect people who don’t have a AVR or other device that could decode those audio types.

The reason that the Play can pass-through DTS-HD (also DTS & TrueHD) is because it doesn’t have a DTS license to compromise.  Also the reason for this is because the Play is not meant to be a local file steamer.  Although it can and does play local files, it’s main function is as a Online content streamer.

1 Like
DTS-MA. A blindingly obvious solution
#3

@Tinwarble
That is the most convincing explanation I’ve ever seen, thank you so much for that and the confirmation of bitstream on Play.
So it seems DTS license doesn’t allow a DTS-HD pass-through. If a device didn’t have any license of DTS, it could pass-through DTS and DTS-HD, like Play; if it had the license of decoding DTS, like SMP/HUB, it had to be compromised for the DTS-HD path-through (even through it doesn’t require any license). Really complicated licenseing stuff here. I wonder when WD will release a device which has both DTS and DTS-HD license, that will be perfect for me. :slight_smile:

#4

Well, really about the only way you’ll see a WD device with a DTS-HD license is if it will use a BD optical drive.

I’ve seen the arguement from others, also, that other players similar to the the SMP/HUB can pass-through DTS-HD, but if you look at those specs, all of them were developed to use either an internal or USB connect optical drive.

#5

… and if that happens, watch out for Cinavia…

#6

…exactly!!!

#7

OK, that solves my another question that why some other devices can pass-through DTS-HD but WD can’t. I think I will buy the Play, and MPEG-2 support doesn’t affect me much. Thanks again.

#8

Tinwarble wrote:

The reason that the SMP/HUB can’t pass-through DTS-HD is because they are under the DTS license, but not not DTS-HD license.  So the reason that WD can’t implement DTS-HD pass-through, even through it doesn’t require a license to do so,  is because if they did it would affect the DTS license.  Meaning if WD implemented DTS-HD pass-through, they would lose their DTS licensing. 

This makes absolutely no sense.  Just passthrough DTS-HD and decode the DTS core (like they are doing now).  If no license is required for passthrough there is no way it should effect another license to add it.

#9

Tinwarble wrote:
 

I’ve seen the arguement from others, also, that other players similar to the the SMP/HUB can pass-through DTS-HD, but if you look at those specs, all of them were developed to use either an internal or USB connect optical drive.

I used to have a SageTV HD300 which supported DTS decoding and DTS-HD passthrough.  You could not use an optical drive with it nor was it designed to do so.

#10

cncb2 wrote:

Tinwarble wrote:

 

The reason that the SMP/HUB can’t pass-through DTS-HD is because they are under the DTS license, but not not DTS-HD license.  So the reason that WD can’t implement DTS-HD pass-through, even through it doesn’t require a license to do so,  is because if they did it would affect the DTS license.  Meaning if WD implemented DTS-HD pass-through, they would lose their DTS licensing. 


This makes absolutely no sense.  Just passthrough DTS-HD and decode the DTS core (like they are doing now).  If no license is required for passthrough there is no way it should effect another license to add it.

DTS owns the licensing of both DTS & DTS-HD.  So, if you bypass one then it will affect the licensing of the other.

The problem your having is assuming that one has nothing to do with the other, but it is the DTS licensing that allows the DTS core to be extracted from DTS-HD and allow DTS-HD to be downmixed.  DTS-HD is an extension of DTS, not separate from it.

Under DTS licensing, it does not permit the bypass of their licensing to allow passthrough DTS-HD. And downmixing is required for optical and stereo ouputs.  As I stated, DTS owns both technologies and it is under their conditions as to what WD has to adhere too.

#11

cncb2 wrote:


Tinwarble wrote:
 

I’ve seen the arguement from others, also, that other players similar to the the SMP/HUB can pass-through DTS-HD, but if you look at those specs, all of them were developed to use either an internal or USB connect optical drive.


I used to have a SageTV HD300 which supported DTS decoding and DTS-HD passthrough.  You could not use an optical drive with it nor was it designed to do so.

That may be true, the SageTV is older hardware, and I was refering to newer players as DTS has tightened their licensing agreements.

#12

Has anyone ever seen these licenses on the web or WD’S official statement on it? Of course it’s still a joke that anybody would have to pay for using pass-through. But that’s modern IP laws for ya.

EDIT: FYI.

#13

Just FYI, the moderators have created a PLAY-specific subforum, here:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Play/bd-p/wdtv_play

… this thread will (hopefully) be relocated there.

#14

Techflaws wrote:

Has anyone ever seen these licenses on the web or WD’S official statement on it? Of course it’s still a joke that anybody would have to pay for using pass-through. But that’s modern IP laws for ya.

 

EDIT: FYI.

No, this are not some sort of general contract, they are private contracts and will not be in the public domain.  Although I do remember seeing some agreements online, but these were for schools and are different than a license for a private company.

And it’s not paying for pass-through, it’s just a limitation of having a DTS license without a DTS-HD license.  As I stated DTS-HD is an extension of DTS.  You could actually pass-through both without any licensing, as with the Play, but then you could not downmix either.

#15

Maybe WD should think about just dropping their DTS license on the SMP and just passing through both DTS and DTS-MA. I’m not sure why WD thought they needed the DTS license on the SMP to begin with.

#16

…because people who do not have a DTS receiver would then not be able to play any DTS media — which is the issue they’ll face with the Play.

#17

Also, it’s doubtful that many people hear a difference between DTS and DTS-MA. Granted, I still rip my BDs losslessly just in case I’m gonna upgrade to a top-notch AVR sometime. But for the moment it’s nice to have DTS support so I don’t have to transcode.

#18

Hi everyone.

I need some help. I bought a WD TV Play recently and a Sony Home Theater SS380 (it supports DTS). I have the WDTV connected via HDMI to the HT and the HT connected via HDMI to the tv.

I set the audio to passthrough HDMI, but even though I don´t have sound if the movie is ripped with DTS.

I haven´t tried with an digital optica cable yet, but I will.

Any suggestions? It´s supposed to work if I set the HDMI passthrough, but it doesn´t.

(Sorry if my english is not accurate enough)

Thanks!

#19

Arieliten wrote:

I set the audio to passthrough HDMI, but even though I don´t have sound if the movie is ripped with DTS.

On what did you set the pass-through?  Your AVR or the Play?

From your SS380 Manual:

Setting the audio output settings on the connected equipment

To output multi channel digital audio, check the digital audio output setting on the connected equipment. For a Blu-ray Disc player, check that “Audio (HDMI)”, “Dolby Digital (Coaxial/Optical)”, and “DTS (Coaxial/Optical)” are set to “Auto”, “Dolby Digital” and “DTS” respectively (as of September 2010). For a PlayStation 3, check that “BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI)” is set to “Bitstream” (with system software version 3.5). For details, refer to the operating instructions supplied with the connected equipment.

And on Page 45 (Troubleshooting)

Dolby Digital or DTS multi channel sound is not reproduced

.• Check that the DVD, etc. you are playing is recorded in Dolby Digital or DTS format

.• When connecting the DVD player, etc., to the digital input jacks of this receiver, check the audio output setting of the connected equipment.

• Use the TV menu to set the Speaker Setting to Audio System

.• Make sure “CTRL HDMI” is set to “CTRL OFF” in HDMI menu.