WD SN550 / SN750 M.2 compatibility with Lenovo Ideacentre 3 07IMB05

Hello,

I bought a Lenovo Ideacentre 3 07IMB05 with 1TB HDD in it, and I would like to upgrade its storage capabilities and performance by adding a NVMe SSD to the only M.2 slot available for that purpose.

After checking availability at Amazon UK I saw that they stock WD SN750 and WD SN550 drives, both 500GB, that look very good. However, after checking the official supported drives in Lenovo’s website, I saw that the Western Digital SN730 and SN720 are listed as compatible with this computer, but no mention on SN750 and SN550. I couldn’t either find any information about this in the WD support page.

As far as I know, all these drives are NVMe and share the same PCIe gen3 x 4 (M-key) interface and M.2 2280 form factor, which would make me think I’d be fine with the SN750 / SN550, but I’d like to double check with you here before ordering one or the other.

Any help to clarify this would be highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Cheers,
G

Edit: Some redditor said that the SN750 and SN550 are basically retail versions of the SN730 and SN720, which are OEM parts sold to manufacturers, but they are pretty much the same. I wonder if that’s correct.

Should not be a problem, I installed a SSD in a Lenovo that was not mentioned in the manuals but it worked just fine

1 Like

Thanks Vegan. Do you know if your SSD was M.2 SATA interface or was it M.2 PCIe 3 x4 interface?

I have a pile of Lenovo machines. Some old one use SATA SSD, some use mSATA and the newer ones use M.2 and Apple still soldiers it to the logic board