WD Blue SN550 vs. generic PCIe to M.2. adapter

Hi there. I decided that I need better performances for my computers, and I’ve just ordered a cheap PCIe adapter card since my motherboard doesn’t have M.2. slots.

I have asked around a bit, but no one seem to be able to answer me about however this will work or not.
First thing I’m curious about is the drive itself. I have never used one so my knowledge is non-existant.
Does the module itself have a firmware that informs the BIOS, like SATA controller (with connected drive) has? From what I’ve gathered it does have a firmware, but not sure if that’s only related to management of the internal workings like load balancing, T.R.I.M and such things.

Secondly, my other computer is an old Dell PowerEdge 1950 Mk. 2 which has a very basic BIOS and is not even remotely intended for any non-server peripherals but most often it does handle what I put in it. It does support PCIe extenders as I have one X1 to four X16 (only X1) slot and handles data relatively well, but won’t exceed 5Gbit. Currently not used though.
I thought I would increase its performance since I run disk intensive operations and the current SSD, although it’s the fastest thing that have ever run in this server, it’s a bottle neck for what I need it to.

These cards I bought (5-6 bucks in total, VAT incl, free shipping = No brainer) I bought just for the hell of it, and I’m going to buy a SN550 SSD just to try, or that was the plan anyway.
If this works, I’m thinking of getting another adapter card that has 4 NVMe slots so that I can get rid of these SSDs that I have (Some are no-name ones and keeps eating churning out errors. KingSpec-garbage! Never buy these!).
If one of those works, I’ll get drives to fill that up and I can then use one for boot, maybe a pair in software RAID for file management and another for caching the mechanical drives or something

So, anyone got any input on this?

Hi @4c3M,

Please contact the WD Technical Support team for best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask