WD Red 2tb. Need to format to Factory Default

I have  an external WD usb drive. I removed the drive that was in there and inserted a Red 2tb drive. All the posts I have red say that in order to convert a drive to 512 sectors I need to use USB External drive or the Quick Formater tool will not find it. I ran the tool and it found the drive, however, it did not give me the option for factory default. Just a Format button. I am guessing that ONLY if its a 2.5 TB drive or above you will get this option. I need backup drives for SBS 2011 and I don’t want to buy the expensive Enterprise drives, which are still 512 sector drives. So is it possible to convert a red 2tb drive to 512? Or do I know have to buy a 3tb red in order to get the option?

Hello,

Unfortunately replacing the internal drive on a WD External drive is not supported and it will void the warranty on the external drive. This could be the reason why the WD Quick formatter does not find it. You may try the  Advanced Format Software. But I believe this software does not work with WD RED drives.