WD passport - 'data error'

Hi all

My reasonably new (~2 years and hardly used) My Passport 700GB external drive is malfunctioning.

When I connect it (to any USB port, any PC) it registers as a drive under my computer; but won’t open. I get the following errors when I try and open it:

" E:\ is not accessible. Data error (cyclic redundancy check). OK"

and

“You need to formart the disk in drive E: before you can use it. Do you want to format it? Format disk/ Cancel

Does anyone know what’s happened and how I can get my data off this drive???

By the way Disk Management shows the disk as healthy and 86% free.

Try running CheckDisk with the repair bad sector option selected. It sounds like a bad sector.

Joe

1 Like

I am facing EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM  Sir… My disc is 500 GB , New, under Warranty, &  it was fine, i just disconnected it once by chance without “Ejecting” it by pulling out the USB wire. & after that this error again & again. I cannot access my files. I cannot afford to loose the Data. PLEASE help someone…Please… :slight_smile:

THANK YOU SO MUCH SIR, God Bless You, You have Really helped me a Lot, Thank you Sir… GOD Bless You, May the Almighty Shine it’s blesings on you Always… Thanks!! (y) Keep it up!! Thanks!!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: