WD MyBook suddenly changed to READ ONLY iMac OS 12.6.1 M1

I have a WD MyBook 4T that has been backing up with TimeMachine for 2 years – All of a sudden it changed to READ ONLY and will not reconfigure. I tried to erase everything and start again because I cannot “mount it” on my computer and cannot find it. It’s still backing up! But I cannot use anything because it will not RESTORE. I cannot see it in Finder. I can only get to it because I have a TM icon on the menu bar.

I have tried repairing the disk
I have tried erasing the disk
I have tried a different USB port
I see that it’s recording but I can’t get to it!

Any thoughts?

1 Like

Hello,

We recommend you kidly refer to the following KBA article (External Drive: Cannot Copy or Write Data using macOS)

Thank you – but this does not address the issue at all. My WD MyBook suddenly changed from BU write to read only. It could not be found on my computer and was not “mounted” even though nothing on my computer changed. I am wondering if it’s because WD sold me a reconditioned backup drive. I did not know this until I had this issue and looked at the bottom of the WD MyBook for the serial number…

Greetings,

We have reached out to you via direct message, so we request you kindly check and reply to your DMs so that we can assist you further.

I replied via email. I do not understand what you need from me. I started all this conversation via support. Thanks

I just received yet another email list of “try this” with things I wrote that I had already tried.

Maybe you are using this as fodder to train new people who need repetition?!?

My WD MyBook cannot even be seen by the computer now. After it was unplugged and the computer restarted, I cannot even find the device.

When your external drive or any storage drive shows up as “Read Only” on your mac, then you might be encountering a very common problem with the hard drive. In such a situation, the user can open and view the files on a drive but cannot copy or move files to the storage drive. The possible reasons for this issue could be:

1. External drive is NTFS formatted
  2. Disk permission changed to “Read Only”
  3. External drive is corrupted

However, the issue can be fixed using below DIY methods:

1. Reformat the external drive
  2. Change/Ignore permissions on an external drive
  3. Repair the external drive with the disk utility’s first aid

Hope this will help you fix the issue!

I have this exact same problem, with a two week old new 14 TB Easy Store formatted with MAC OS extended. Cannot write and be reliably mounted/unmounted. PLEASE do not repost the suggested steps posted above. Running OSX first Aid does not work. 1. The drive is NOT NTFS formatted. 2. How would the disk permission change itself to Read Only? Ignoring the drive permissions as suggested does not work. 3. How would the drive corrupt? Suggestions please!

OS 11.7.2 Macbook Pro Intel i7 mid 2014