WD my Pastport vs windows xp

Background:
I recently purchase the WD My Passport Ultra (model # WDBGPU0010BBY-NESN ).
normally I wouldn’t have purchased because the minimum OS stated on the boxed was Windows 7, 8 or vista and common sense says that means no to Windows XP.
I wanted to get a portable hard drive to remove various videos from my computer (which has Windows XP) and play them on my ps3 and other computers should I need to.
The sales rep assured me I would be able to do so with this model.

well my problem is as follows: the hard drive doesn’t appear on my computer anywhere when I “plug” it in.
When I do plug it in, I get the message “new hardware has been detected and added.” I can even eject it just like I would a flash drive which is odd.

is there anything I could do to make it work for xp?

would it be easier just to return it and buy an older model online (which surprisingly is selling for the same price as a new one via amazon.com) that does support xp but may not work with other computers or my ps3

Thanks

Hi there,

Have you tested this device on a windows 7 or 8 pc to make sure the unit is working normally? before making the decision try this out, if it does not work, then i recommend getting an older one.

it does work with another computer with windows 7 so there’s no problem with the device or the cable. (I can access the hard drive like I would a flash drive)

Both comps are on a power strip so I’m not sure if that has anything to with not seeing on the XP computer despite being able to “eject” from the ports or the computer detecting the harddrive and instilling software when plugging it in.

It’s most probably GPT partitioned …
Which Windows XP 32-Bit won’t read (only Windows XP 64-Bit will recognize GPT and of course Windows 7,8,10)

See my post here on how to check

If it is GPT … then you’ll need to Re-Partition to MBR (2 ways to do this … one way, will format and wipe your data, the second way using 3rd software you can convert GPT > MBR without data loss)

Another post here … were the problem was solved

Also remember, for PS3 compatibility you will need to format the drive FAT32 (which has a 4GB Max Limit for files)

Ok goin through the steps suggested by everyone, my computer was being fussy and didn’t want to comply. I ended up called WD support. So now I got it up and running for windows xp and windows 7 for now.

can’t get it so it plays on the ps3 though. I know it needs further formatting to FAT32 to do so but tried that and it failed claiming its too big. the drive is a 1TB so not sure what I can do further for that. any suggestions

What solution did they give you to get the drive working with XP ?

… please share this information for other people with the same problem.

Use 3rd Party Software (eg. AOEMI, EasUS, SwissKnife V3 etc) instead of Windows formatter.

Ok what happened was WD support had me 1st make sure usb port in the back of the computer didn’t recognize the drive either (my computer has usb port in back for usual items such as mouse, keyboard, etc and 4 in fromt for items such as external hard drive, flash drives etc) then proceeded to download WD Drive Utilities setup and WD Quick Formatting For Windows from their website…

From there used the quick formatting for window execute (had to unzip the file 1st). That worked fine and the hard drive is working.

As for making it ps3 compatible I’m not goin to do so, I have Nero for capturing and recoding various videos so with using that to reformat certain videos I can use an appropriate flash drive stick and transfer the wanted files from computer/external hard drive to stick to play on ps3. I can play the videos I want without searching for them