My Passport 4TB not installing on Windows XP SP3

I have used this drive successfully on Windows 7 Home & Pro and on Windows 10 Home & Pro. When I went to install it on a Windows XP SP3 desktop, I got the message that “Cannot install this Hardware. The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software.”. It was looking for software for a WD SES Device USB Device.

The Model is a My Passport P/N: WDBYFT0040BBK-0A and it is formatted using NTFS. Are there drivers needed for it to install on an XP computer? If so, could someone point me to the proper download area?

Thanks in advance,

VictorTango

And will be using a GPT … GUID Partition Table which is not supported by Windows XP

Unless you’re running Windows XP 64-Bit …

Windows XP 32-Bit only supports MBR (Master Boot Record) Partition Table which has a Maximum of 2TB Hard drive support.

Thanks for the reply.

So I will have to copy my data to another drive and then format the My Passport? Is there a utility that does the formatting?

Well, I found an older external drive that was recognized by Windows XP SP3 32-bit and I had enough space available on it to do a disk image on the 2 XP systems that have irreplaceable programs on them.

Thank you JoeySmyth for replying and reminding me of the Windows XP 32-bit limit on size recognition!