Wd my passport password not working

Hello,

I have a WD My passport which I have been using since about 4 years now. Today, I am unable to login to the drive using the unlocker using the same password I have been using since the last 4 years . For context, the system it is attached to has not been changed so there is no change in keyboard,. The same password was working until last week and suddenly stopped working.

This is not a case where I have forgot the password but the software not accepting the correct one. Please help.
Formatting the drive is not an option since there is critical data on it.

Hi,

The WD security protection is a 256-bit AES encryption, and there is no “forgot password” option to reset the password.

We regret to inform you that if you have forgotten the password, the information stored on the hard drive cannot be retrieved due to the encryption. And WD technical support wouldn’t be able to provide a new password or alternative method to access the encrypted data. If you enter the wrong password 5 times, you will receive an error stating too many attempts.

In order to try your password 5 more times, you will need to safely eject the drive and unplug both the power and data cable from the unit. Then plug it back in. You will now be given 5 more tries. If you can’t remember your password, then you will not be able to access the drive.

Reformatting the drive will erase all the data on the unit, as well as remove the password from the drive.

Note: - Formatting the drive will erase all data on the drive and is not recoverable.

Title: WD Security “Invalid Password Message” or Password Forgotten
Link: [WD Security "Invalid Password Message" or Password Forgotten]

Title: How to Partition and Format a WD Drive on Windows and macOS
Link: [How to Partition and Format a WD Drive on Windows and macOS]

Note: Western Digital does neither cover Data Recovery under its warranty policy nor has any in-house data recovery service. But, it does provide approval for the data recovery from any alternate 3rd party options.

For a detailed list for which WD external drives support encryption, and if data recovery is possible, please check the below link.

Link: [WD External Drive Hardware Encryption Compatibility Matrix]

Hello Neha,

I realized my Kaspersky Antivirus quarantined 2 files from the drive. These are named as Main and are javascript executable files(snaps attached). Does this have anything to do with the HD not accepting the password?

If yes, why were they quarantined in the first place and how to get them in again to gain access to the drive?

Hi,

Have you tried to access your WD drive on another computer or laptop? Is it showing the same incorrect password issue in another system?

1 Like

I tried using it on another system but it just doesnt accept the correct password anymore. My data of 13+ years is at risk.