Password does not work

Hi, I lately purchased two portable drives, My Passport 5TB. On the first one I set a password and confirmed it. Two days later I tried to unlock it but it says wrong password. So tried all kind of combinations but without success. Then I installed the second one and also set a password. But also here I can’t unlock, says wrong password. It’s a German laptop I used with a German keyboard. I typed in my password with a US keyboard setup but doesn’t work either. Now I have two locked Passports :slight_smile: any ideas?

Hi,

The WD security protection is a 256-bit AES encryption, and there is no “forgot password” option to reset the password.

We regret to inform you that if you have forgotten the password, the information stored on the hard drive cannot be retrieved due to encryption.

And WD technical support wouldn’t be able to provide a new password or alternative method to access the encrypted data.

Reformatting the drive will erase all the data on the unit, as well as removes the password from the drive.

Note: - Formatting the drive will erase all data on the drive and is not recoverable.

Title: WD Security “Invalid Password Message” or Password Forgotten
Link: [Invalid Password or Forgotten Password Message on WD Security]

it has happened to me many times, now the data is gone as wd has no way of forgot password recovery. i mean they should have it . my wd drive stops recognizing same password after sometime and only way out is reformat and lose our data. there is problem with these locked drives they seems to be getting corrupted after some time. only way to have it safe is using it without password because i tried once bitlocker encryption too on this drive but after some time bitlocker software started saying wrong password on wrong passwords but on correct password it will do nothing just loading…

I have found a solution on a Mac:
1/Access keychain
2/in the search bar type “volume”
3/Locate your hard drive and double click on it
4/Click "Show password’
5/Enter your keychain password in the new window and “Allow”
6/Your password will be visible

I had a problem with the HHD original password so I changed it and rebooted the computer.
The hard drive can now read like before.
I hope this helps

Can we get instructs on reformatting?

The drive can’t be reformatted in Windows 10, as that option option doesn’t come up when right clicking on the locked drive. The drive can’t be accessed in the Disk Management app. And WD Security no longer offers to format the drive after 5 wrong guesses.

Can the instructions for reformatting a locked drive be provided?