WD My Book Duo (2017)

I purchased a 6TB WD My Book Duo (2017) a couple of weeks ago. Set it up as RAID 1 HFS+J drive. It is connected to my MacBook (2016). All was working fine until today, it has been painfully slow (write speeds of 9MB/s / read is 70+MB/s). Sometimes the drive is not being recognised by Mac on reboot. So I checked the drive with the WD Drive Utilities app, SMART returned ok, but the Quick Drive Test keeps failing, I get this error “Quick Drive Test failed”, no further details provided. Running a Complete Drive Test now, which will hopefully turn up a solution.

Anyone else having similar painful experiencing with these drives, the whole point of it was to have a double backup, but it looks like I should have a backup of my double backup!

I have ran Disk Utility and no problems found there. My power management settings are set to not sleep the drives.

That didn’t help, it just says “Complete Drive Test canceled”, no idea why it says that. I didn’t cancel it, it just stopped.

And the same thing happened again on my MacBook (2016), so I plugged the WD My Book Duo hard drive USB-C to USB-C direct into my MacBook, so nothing in-between could be a failure. Same result again, it won’t even complete the tests.

Macbook (2016), macOS High Sierra 10.13.4. My Book Duo setup as RAID 1 using WD Drive Utilities 2.1.1.69 for Mac. Is there a compatibility issue with the MacBook and/or macOS 10.13.4 and the hardware?

do you have news ?

So, eventually got it all working. First thing I did was to scrap the Apple USB-C to USB & HDMI adapter and purchased a HooToo USB Splitter with 3.1 USB-C, 4K HDMI Port, USB 3.0 Port - that fixed most of the problems.