Wd hd tv live gen3 hangs and wont start movie

well i can see this problem has been around for a long time i guess.

soon this box will be up for sale and very cheap!

Wonder if its hardware related rather then software :S!?

So, have you tried STOP or BACK? Does it make a difference?

Hi
I have also been suffering with this problem but have now found that there is some sort of incompatibility with my router.
I have a normally use a Draytek 2830 ,but if change this for a BT Home Hub 3 then the problem goes away. Also I have found that if I reconnect the draytek and use the home hub just as a network switch between the draytek and the WD live then this also works OK. It might be worth trying another router if you can to see if that helps.

Simon

this is not an network issue i have tryed to put a movie on a thumpdrive and same issue cant play it just black screen with a spinning arrow.!!!

I totally agree, I don’t think it is a network problem as such. All I am saying is that I also had the same problem including playing files from a thumbdrive, but when the WD live is not connected directly to my draytek router then the fault never arises. As a point of interest if you reboot the WD live so as it works again does yours go faulty again after about 30 - 40 minuits even without playing any files ?. Also I found that even when I was unable to play any avi, mkv, mp4, or jpg I was still able to play iso files, (Has anybody else found this?).

Simon

You guys know that when the WD can’t play a faulty file it cannot play any proper file afterwards until the device is powercycled? It’s a well-known bug that’s been around for a while. For each file the WDTV does not play from USB the same technique applies: Split the file and upload a sample (that also does not work, test this first!) to sendspace or mediafire so we can have a go.

Hi Techflaws

If it is a faulty file that causes my problem then I must have over 5000 faulty files (jpegs included) as the only files that will constantly play correctly are iso files. Also I dont even have to play a file for the problem to arise, just leaving it for about 40 mins also causes the same issue. When the device has gone wrong it will still play these iso files but then going back to any other file type it fales. As I said previously when I am not directly connected to my Draytek router (some network switches did not work) or I use My Home Hub instead then the device will play any file flawlessly, so how could it be a faulty file ?. I have got an on going support ticket open on this and only posted to see if what I have found so far would help anybody else as I see there are quite a lot of people with the same or similar issue.

Simon

Just tried to disconnect it form the network and then it plays just fine. As a matter of fact my isp upgraded the firmware in my router, and now that I think of it fits when the problem started, so I have contacted my isp and asked them to downgrade it and I hope the problem is to solved

Thanks for the tip sim01

i have just now downgradet the firmware of my router, and now my WD TV LIVE seems to work perfect!

Hi Nsprime,

I am glad that you are now sorted. Out of interest what router are you using and which Firmware version works ok ?.
Some body else might benefit from this information

Simon

i use a Zyxel P-2812HNU-F1 and its running firmware: V1.00(AACC.0)b3_20120222 

sim01 wrote:

Also I dont even have to play a file for the problem to arise, just leaving it for about 40 mins also causes the same issue. When the device has gone wrong it will still play these iso files but then going back to any other file type it fales.

Never read about this nor experienced this myself. But as nsprime shows, there are so many factors involved that pinpointing the source of the issues can be a lengthy and not necessarily straightforward process.

Just adding my experience to this thread. I’ve had the same problem for a while. tried many things but nothing works…

• wired or wireless - same

• different media server product (PS3 Media Server) running on different computer - same

• other renderer (PS3 console) playing from same source never has issue.

• downgraded firmware to earliest available. - same

• upgraded to latest on each new release - same

• tried different settings in system menu - nothing helps

• rebuilt media server database - same

• upgraded media server software(Twonky on QNAP) - same

• REPLACED ENTIRE UNIT UNDER WARRANTY - SAME!

My symptoms are; when unit is idle for about 30 mins it will play no file. “Idle” can mean either powered on but not in use, or playing a movie without any interaction (pause, etc). In either case it will play no file and gives spinning arrow. Folders can still be navigated.

“Restart” from system menu, or full power reset restores function, i.e. everything plays fine until unit has been idle for about 30 mins. Failure occurs even if no file is played, i.e. unit restarted and left idle for 30 mins.

I hope this is resolved soon.

Hi Bruciann,

The symptoms that you describe are similar to mine. What router are you using ?.
Have you got another router that you could try because changing my router was the only way I could fix this problem.

Simon

asim01 sayed try another router or upgrade/downgrade the firmware in your router! 

that might help

I use a Cisco ASA5505 firewall with inbuilt 8 port switch. This provides firewall services, VPN and PPPoE authentication to my ISP via an ADSL2 router used in bridge only mode.

The Cisco uplinks to a D-Link router which is acting as an AP only (nothing connected to it’s WAN/Internet port). This provides WiFi to the house and is how the WDTV connects to the network.

…and finally a Linksys GigE 8 port switch for the PC’s and NAS. This is uplinked to the ASA.  btw I am a network engineer by profession, so although this seems a busy setup, it’s nothing compared to the stuff I work on every day.

I read your post about the router firmware but I can’t see how is applies to my setup and it seems to raise more questions than it solves. For exmaple, I have the same issue even if attempting to play a file from USB plugged directly into the WDTV. I have also tried using wired Ethernet instead of wireless, which in my setup means terminating to a completely different piece of hardware.

I suspect there may be some particular set of conditions on the network which causes the WD to clag, and you have somehow changed them by changing your router firmware, but unless you can identify the specific change IN the software that invokes/removes the issue then we are no closer to an answer.

Thanks for the suggestion tho.  btw I have tried downgrading the WD firmware as well as upgrading to latest with each new release. No change at all.

bruceann wrote:
For exmaple, I have the same issue even if attempting to play a file from USB plugged directly into the WDTV.  […] btw I have tried downgrading the WD firmware as well as upgrading to latest with each new release. No change at all.

Which makes sense since the fact that your movies won’t start from USB either hints at faulty files, no? I mean, I’ve tried each and every firmware and so far all my files are still playing, even on 1.15.10.

Is it possible for you to connect the WD Live into somebody elses Network setup ?, if possible a much simpler one just to see if you can replicate the problem and then rule out either the routers or WD Live.

In my setup i found if using a Draytek Vigor 2800 or  Home Hub 3 then everything works OK. If i use a Draytek Vigor 2830 then I have exactley the same issues as you (including not being able to play files from USB).

Solved. Turned off uPnP on the NAS.