WD External Drives missing after Ventura 13.3

hi,

I have upgraded my Mac OS yesterday and the two external WD drives disappeared. I have checked the software version of NTFS for Mac, and all the settings in finder are the same and should show drives.

Ian

3 Likes

Hi @IanB29032023,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

I’m sorry to hear that you’re experiencing issues with your external WD drives after upgrading your Mac OS. Here are a few steps you can try to troubleshoot the problem:

1. Check Disk Utility: Open Disk Utility and check if your WD drives are listed there. If so, try to repair the disks.

2. Restart your Mac: Sometimes a simple restart can solve the issue.

3. Check for updates: Check if there are any updates available for your NTFS for Mac software or the WD drivers.

4. Check Finder preferences: Make sure the external drives are set to appear on the desktop and in the Finder sidebar. To do this, open Finder preferences (Finder > Preferences) and click on the Sidebar tab. Make sure the “External disks” box is checked.

5. Reset SMC and NVRAM: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) and Non-Volatile Random Access Memory (NVRAM) may help resolve the issue. You can find instructions on how to reset these on Apple’s support website.

6. Try a different USB port or cable: Sometimes a faulty USB port or cable can cause issues with external drives.

If none of these steps work, you may need to contact Apple support or the manufacturer of your WD drives for further assistance.

Same issue here.
It seems that the NTFS software by Paragon distributed by WD needs to be updated to 15.10.590 to work with latest version of MacOS Venturi 13.3.1.
Unfortunately WD did not update their OEM version yet.
WD support, do you have a target date?
Thanks.

3 Likes

I opened a case, and the dude just told me to reformat my whole drive :roll_eyes: after telling me what file systems work and don’t work for windows and macos

I just opened a case too. I hope they will eventually understand.

someone from Paragon (makers of NTFS for Mac) gave me the solution. pretty much you need to fully uninstall NTFS for Mac and reinstall the newest version for Ventura. i guess what happened is the old NTFS driver that doesn’t work for Ventura is the one being used, so you have to do that full uninstall. here is the message the support person sent me:

Please perform these actions to start using the latest NTFS for Mac version for your hard drive:

1. Uninstall the currently installed version as described here: How To Uninstall Microsoft NTFS For Mac By Paragon Software
    If you were using NTFS for Mac 14, you can remove it in System Preferences - NTFS for Mac - Settings - Uninstall, or using NTFS for Mac 14 DMG.
  2. Reboot your Mac
  3. Install the package downloaded from the link below:

Western Digital: http://ftp.paragon.eu.com/support/att/OEM/NTFS-15.10.592.dmg

I hope this helps everyone!

2 Likes

Thanks ! It is working with this new version 15.10.592 of NTFS for Mac!

Thank you so much. I haven’t had access to my WD External Drive for over a month now. Uninstalled and updated NTFS and was able to gain access to my drive. I had tried everything and was losing hope.

After you install Paragon, how does it recognize your external harddrive? Mine still will not. So frustrated.