WD Discovery 3.4.89 and macOS 10.15 Catalina Support

This is not acceptable! Apple has warned 32 bit software will be phased out for years!!

4 Likes

WD would rather let us advertise to a competitor than react.
You guys are being ridiculous!

2 Likes

We trialed Synology products at my home to replace the WD NASā€™s. We had the DS918+ and the play variant, and both performed unsurprisingly better than the WD products. After a few days of benchmarking and tests, it was a no brainer the Synology won hands down. We did trial the Qnap products too, but not against the Synology as this has already been done, but with WD products we had in house. Again, Qnap outperformed the WD products we had.

All in all, WD are incompetently inferior, bit like their ineptness in developing and releasing 64bit apps and that of their responses @SBrown et al.

Letter sent to the CxO - time will tell if I will get a response, probably in the same time WD wake up to the changes we are discussing here.

1 Like

UNBELIEVABLE. I have literally just gone out and bought a My Cloud Home. Tried to get it to work. Realised all the installs were 32 bit. Went online - to find that WD have been unbelievably incompetent and not produced a 64 bit version prior to Catalinaā€™s launch. How incredibly stupid is that ? I want this for a Time Machine backup - which I need to be able to rely on. Hardly fills me with confidence. Iā€™m taking the product back to the shop for a refund. Amateur hour.

1 Like

Oh, and this wonderful new WD Discovery installer ā€¦ isnā€™t installing. Itā€™s been saying ā€œInstallingā€ for 20 minutes, but clearly isnā€™t.

2 Likes

I am able to get full access via Finder/connect to server smb://ip address. And if not, try viper FTP Lite there is no limit to upload or download. The WD Software was only good to get everything up and running 3 years ago, since then I donā€™t even use it.

3 Likes

Hi Emilio. Can you please explain the method to connect via finder smb://ip address. I have tried, but without any success. I am obviously doing something wrong. Also if I use Viper FPT will it give me finder access?

1 Like

Hi Emilio, please share the steps. I thought you could only get to the public space through SMB.

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m seeing - just the public space. Perhaps Emilio is only using that space and so has all of his files there to begin withā€¦

1 Like

Had to erase one of my posts, it wonā€™t allow more than 3 in a row from the same person. Yes it is thru the (private) public space that I access everything on my WD. I must admit the mycloud are a bit mmmmā€¦ not good. (to put it nicely). Iā€™m trying to put everything in one post. So thatā€™s my full access 06 and this is the connection with viper FTP lite

1 Like

Everyone, can you take the time to read and consider helping me? This seems to be the only group of people that care about regularly updating WD customers, even more than the WD staff! Ludicrous.

Anyways, I just bought a MyBook 6TB drive. My goal was to sync this with my Dropbox folder. It worked before I updated to Catalina. Now, Dropbox has updated itself to work with Catalina, but when I attempt to select MyBook to be the destination for my Dropbox folder to sync to, Dropbox refuses to sync to it.

My question is simple: is this due to MyBookā€™s lack of general cloud support with Catalina? Or is the issue everyone else is having simply for Cloud Home? I donā€™t use Cloud Home, I use Dropbox, so you can see that I feel like my situation is a bit unique on this forum. Iā€™m just trying to find an answer as to why DBox refuses to sync with MyBook now that Iā€™m on Catalina.

Thanks everyone, Iā€™m not a computer expert at all, looking for real help. Thank you :slight_smile:

Just realised WD Discovery does not support macOS Catalinaā€¦

Not sure whether I upgraded too early or their releases are too slow.

4 Likes

My MAC warned me of two applications that were not compatible with Catalina when it noted there was an update. One of them was WDMycloud. Since WD is a critical app in my system, I have delayed updating. NOTE, that twice I forgot and allowed the update to start and had to kill the machine to prevent it from completing. It is good that MAC has a double redundancy startup.

There is so much complaining on this forum about Catalina. Yes, it is a bad situation - but Catalina is controlled by Apple and not WD.
We are also not very supportive - there are 34 different threads on this forum on the Catalina issue - itā€™s hindering support if people expect the WD apps folks to keep answering the same question instead of working on helping with current issues.
For now, I am not updating to Catalina until WD has an update. If the delay gets too long I will look to setup my WD as a local drive and not a NAS (until an update comes).
Keep in mind the reason for the change is the requirement for WD to migrate to 64bit operation instead of 32bit. This is huge! Would you rather it work flawlessly, or work with Catalina and lose your data in some cases??

1 Like

@Wolfenhawke It is not due to the 64bit migration, it is due to WD having chosen to rely on proprietary format.
People are mad because:

• My Cloud Home has not stopped being disappointing and many people chose WD because it has been having a good reputation for years,
  • the Summer update that removed Family folder and stuck people with migration for days;
  • WD did not warn that Discovery was not compatible with Cataline, although they must have known;
  • there is no roadmap for this brick.

So yeah people donā€™t get it and WD does not explain a thing.

8 Likes

AustinForest has said it all, WD has been incredibly incompetent in not working on migration, and in addition does not even dare to deal with angry customers

2 Likes

Hi @SBrown

Found at least one bug with 3.5.138.

WD icon is not showing up in the menu bar see screenshot attached.

6 Likes

Well put @AustinForest!