WD Discovery 3.4.89 and macOS 10.15 Catalina Support

What a shame. That Catalina comes is not new for WD and they dont bring a Update at the Release.

1 Like

Same here @Besonnener

1 Like

Has anyone tried Synology 2 bay NAS DiskStation DS218j? It is priced reasonable on Amazon with Seagate disks. I am thinking about ordering it and trying it. It will still be very painful to transfer all of the data from the brick aka My Cloud Home.

They should have developers around the clock and all weekend to fix this.

2 Likes

pls WD fix that problem. I couldnā€™t access my backups.

1 Like

I couldnt access my Time Machine. I need to access my backups immediately, I tried to use Windows for access Time Machine backup but its not possible, it want to apfs protocol

4 Likes

Same issue here, there is absolutely nothing to do (not findable on Mac and not readable on Windows)

2 Likes

Just posted a stellar review of the product and customer service on Best Buy

3 Likes

I have registered on here to voice my concerns regarding the support (or lack of) for Mac users. I cannot believe a company who market themselves as the number one supplier of NAS drives has not made the relevant updates to their software to support an OS that has been touted by the manufacturer for god knows how long and had numerous Beta versions released.

I was quite excited to upgrade my Mac to Catalina only to lose access to all of my pictures and music stored on my NAS, I thought the Demise of iTunes had a hand in this however it appears that itā€™s all down to the WD software.

To make things worse the lack of communication with end users is diabolical, wasnā€™t it part of the ā€˜agreementā€™ that when we registered our e-mail addresses with you, this was so that you could inform us of any announcements regarding firmware and software updates? The lack of support for Catalina should have been high on your list for your mail shots! However we all know you would not do this as sales would plummet.

Obviously you donā€™t believe in voice of customer or keeping us happy. Donā€™t forget who made you as big as you areā€¦ it was us the end users who spend our hard earned Ā£ā€™s on your products only to be treated like an after thought.

Also after reading this thread and seeing the regurgitated responses from WD staff on here and to have them paraphrased in e-mail format to the members who reached out via e-mail to the people in charge is very disheartening.

You have lost my custom for future hard drives as you have simply painted WD as a faceless corporation that doesnā€™t care about the end user.

7 Likes

Guys, I want money back. I will go on Synology or any other WD competitor. These days Iā€™m not working on my thousands of photos!!! @SBrown please tell us what is the procedure for having money back. Thanks

6 Likes

Why wasnā€™t the problem fixed with the beta versions of macOS Catalina?

3 Likes

Hello - Can you tell me (officially) if WD MyCloud supports Mac OS Mojave. When I updated, by backups stopped working. Iā€™ve scoured the forums several times, but have found no ā€œofficialā€ definitive answer from WD . It appears that some may have found work-arounds.
Andā€¦ while weā€™re at it - plans for Catalina?
Thanks!

1 Like

@SBrown Your response does not match in any way shape or form with your LinkedIn profile:

ā€œFocused and productive hands on technical professional with broad experience in network, computer operations, customer care and product management. Excellent track record establishing strong relationships across all organizational levels with diverse cultural backgrounds and technical abilities. Customer advocate that quickly adapts to change and new challenges with a get-it-done attitude.ā€

@SBrown

According to Apple, all suppliers, which include Western Digital (or Waste of a Dime) knew that changes were amidst months ago - the question that WD did nothing until now is utterly incompetent. Apple have been informed of this lack of competence as there is much debate on the Apple Forums about WD inept proactive approach.

I will be writing to the CxO level of WDC to understand why they have not reacted in time to this change and causing massive Customer dissatisfaction and financial loss for which I will be seeking compensation for the ā€˜lossā€™.

I went out and bought Synology product for the home, and have now asked my CTO to remove all WD products out of my business (c.1000 employees). I have experienced severe loss of earnings and will have to post poor financials for this month.

3 Likes

Hi @greg WD Discovery supports Mojave, but there are no plans for Catalina. They are working on it, but clearly there is no strong strategy behind.

2 Likes

Luca - so youā€™re saying that if I download WD Discovery, it will fix my backup issues? Can you point me to a link that has step-by-step instructions for installation? Iā€™m a bit technologically challenged!
Thanks!

1 Like

I sent a message to the Cloud Mounter group to see if they could do anything. Within 2 minutes (not 4 days) a service rep contact me and said she would walk over to the developers to see if they had a solution. I will keep everyone posted.

The worst thing is not that the problem is there (which is ā€œjustā€ incompetence), but that no one from WD is there to answer.

2 Likes

Now, now - Letā€™s give them a chance. I sent a message & got two replies within 5 minutes. Thatā€™s a good signā€¦

They have had months to deal with this. I just want an easy way to transfer my files when my new Synology NAS arrives tomorrow.

1 Like

@JJC Arenā€™t they wonderful?

Iā€™m thinking of getting one myself.

Like this slick, neat looking 4 bay machine.

@SBrown You guys at WD should learn a thing or two from Synology on how to make a proper NAS + how to develop a proper software for it.
(Pass this onto your superiors as well). Have a great day.

3 Likes