WD Discovery 3.4.89 and macOS 10.15 Catalina Support

ok, my post is going to delete… just fix this @WD

So you’re telling us to use the Web Browser temporarily, but I’ve just realised there’s a 5GB file size limit.

What gives? Can you please adjust this to unlimited file-sizes - surely it’s the very least you can do, considering the circumstances.

I installed the WD Discovery software from your link. This does nothing. Yes, the software installs, but I still don’t have access to the drive. Am I missing something? As mentioned, what is the purpose of installing this if it does nothing?

1 Like

@SBrown “new WD discovery version by the end of this month” means no serious access to my files from 7th October to 31th October, when the beta version of Catalina was out since March/April I think.

yeah I installed it, was able to sign into my MyHomeCloud, but like previous people commented, you still can’t access… I guess I’ll have to wait till end of the month. I’ll keep using my other laptop since I didn’t update it… luckily… This is very frustrating.

now I can’t login from the website either. Is it just me or is this the latest prank from WD?

@SBrown what’s the status of the update?

wheww… can login now

I think the best plan is to reset my home cloud device to factory reset - sell it to some unsuspecting dupe on eBay - and just upgrade my Dropbox account. The auto WD Discovery update just wiped out my access on my Windows PC as well - now I can’t access it on a PC or Mac - and the service support here stinks.

1 Like

I am beyond furious, I am submitting product reviews where ever I am able to warn others not to touch this product and as a loyal WD user for decades, I will never buy their products again due to the disgraceful customer service!
The time I have invested in transferring all my files from other drives (which I don’t have anymore) and now having my files being held ransom (except through the browser which is inadequate for my use) by an inferior tech department at WD until supposedly October 31st for a fix is woeful!

5 Likes

Complete agreed - I am posting my negative reviews in as many places as possible. Completely unacceptable, disgraceful. I “invested” nearly $1000 in a home cloud device that is completely frustrating to use - Google Drive and Dropbox (even with their issues) are 1000% responsive and deserve my dollars for their 5 star customer service.

5 Likes

Finding so many complaints going back well over 12 months ago.
This shows clearly that WD have no intention of fixing the software on this dud device!
WD advertised this;
" Automatically backup your files
Wirelessly back up your devices. The My Cloud™ Home works seamlessly with Windows® Backup, Time Machine and your phone’s camera roll."

In 5 months of trying, I have never been able to get it to back up via Time Machine!!!
We were all duped into false and misleading advertising!

I lost access to this device completely for 4 days a few months ago due to a firmware update, now it’s been another 4 days with this new issue along with the time lost trying to research and rectify the time machine issue. WD advising that they may have a fix by October 31st !!!
In my opinion and that of many others - They simply do not care about their users

Ditching it, is of course easier said than done, due to the limitations of now accessing and retrieving 6Tb of files and copying them to somewhere other than a Western Digital product!

4 Likes

Other than not being able to access due to Catalina Upgrade, it’s working fine on my PC and my other MacBook that I didn’t update. Other than this issue, the system has worked for my uses and needs… It’s been great otherwise… Just been frustrated since the update that my HomeCloud can’t be accessed but if they can fix this problem then I’ll stick around. I love the PR4100 but I only have access to it inside my network. So the simplicity of the MyHomeCloud before this update inside and outside my network is what sold me on the system. I’l wait to see what happens at the end of the month. But this has been frustrating not only with My Cloud but other issues as well. In apple’s own Mail app, I can’t even search for old emails. there’s a bug that doesn’t allow you to type in something and find emails that correspond tp your search… that’s frustrating as well…

2 Likes

Access is now gone via browser and Windows, it disappeared whilst I was desperately trying to download some of my files!
Hoping and praying that WD is actually working on this and we get a speedy resolution.

1 Like

it so horrible

2 Likes

Well, had an email back from them; totally standard reply!! Going to hit them again.

Blockquote

Dear Nigel Kippax,

Thank you for contacting us with your set of concerns.

We are working on releasing a version of WD Discovery that supports macOS 10.15 Catalina and My Cloud Home by the end of this month.

Thanks for your patience, understanding and we apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused.

In the meantime, access to your My Cloud Home can still be obtained using MyCloud.com web app, My Cloud Home mobile app for Android, iOS or by using WD Discovery on a supported operating system.

Sincerely,

Samuel Brown

Sr. Manager, Technical Support

Global Customer Service
WD | a Western Digital brand

3355 Michelson Dr #100,

Irvine, CA 92612

Blockquote

1 Like

I got the same one.

Doesn’t work anyway. End at 66%. If I had knew that the technical support at WD is that bad, i would never have bought a product. I am disappointed and a bit angry. If i will take care for my customers issues as your company does, i will not have any customers after a short time. Your support in Germany is also very poor. I wrote to the support on Monday and I recieved no answer til today. Be assured… that was my first experience with WD… and it will be my last. At least… sorry for my poor english, but english is not my native language.

3 Likes

"Dear Joseph,

Thank you for contacting us with your set of concerns.

We are working on releasing a version of WD Discovery that supports macOS 10.15 Catalina and My Cloud Home by the end of this month.

Thanks for your patience, understanding and we apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused.

In the meantime, access to your My Cloud Home can still be obtained using MyCloud.com web app, My Cloud Home mobile app for Android, iOS or by using WD Discovery on a supported operating system.

Sincerely,

Samuel Brown

Sr. Manager, Technical Support

Global Customer Service
WD | a Western Digital brand

3355 Michelson Dr #100,

Irvine, CA 92612"

2 Likes