WD Discovery 3.4.89 and macOS 10.15 Catalina Support

@mani_s @MCKayuk @mddimmick @Melvin @Neo33 @Parth_Vasavada
@Rebecca_Lee @Robert.huang @RonW

Good afternoon WD Staff,

We would like to get an update on the progress in fixing WD Discovery to work with MAC Catalina. We have reached out to @SBrown several time but have not received a response.

Thanks you,
The Customer

2 Likes

@Rydia @Sharmilamore @Steve_Sanoff @SuperSoph_WD @tadd_S @TechnicalSupport @Tech_Wanderer @SD001 @WD_ADMIN

Good morning WD Staff,

We would like to get an update on the progress in fixing WD Discovery to work with MAC Catalina. We have reached out to @SBrown several time but have not received a response.

Thanks you,
The Customer

2 Likes

@WDGIRL @WDJAY @WDSAL @WD_SERHIO @XERVANTES @Yassird

Good morning WD Staff,

Thanks you,
The Customer

Well I have now all of the staff at WD on this board. Let see if we can finally just get a simple update.

2 Likes

I have the PR4100 that I can access, but its only within my network
 the myhomecloud was so convenient
 but after this debacle,
 not sure what the solution is
 This is just so frustrating.

2 Likes

Dear WD Community,

There are two issues with WD Discovery on macOS 10.15 Catalina

ISSUE #1 WD Discovery cannot install
This issue is fixed and we will be releasing a new version of WD Discovery early next week.

ISSUE #2 My Cloud Home Desktop App access
This issue will not be fixed in next weeks release.
We appreciate your patience, understanding and apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused. In the meantime, access to the My Cloud Home can still be obtained using the My Cloud Home mobile app for Android, iOS, MyCloud.com web app or by using WD Discovery on a supported operating system including Windows.

Thank You

2 Likes

@SBrown “access to the My Cloud Home can still be obtained using the My Cloud Home mobile app for Android, iOS, MyCloud.com web app or by using WD Discovery on a supported operating system including Windows.”

That still means that My Cloud Home is not supported on a Mac as a Finder Window - but only via a webpage portal (Safari or Chrome). Which means the solution is weeks away. I wish I had read all of the customer complaints (which are SO many) before I made the significant investment for a “state of the art” 20TB My Cloud Home to “solve” my personal/secure cloud issues. Regrets - I have many.

3 Likes

AMEN to that

2 Likes

Ok. Ummm this answers nothing

That’s great that I’ll be able to install WD Discovery on my Mac next week. But what am I going to use it for??? The main point of it is to access the my cloud hard drive device locally

From your update, it actually sounds like the problem isn’t being worked on. Can we please have an ETA for an update that does fix the connectivity issue? A week, 2 weeks, 2 months, never? Is it even fixable? Something! Just looking for an approximation. Revise it later if you have to. Just because you give us a time frame now, we know that doesn’t mean it WILL be fixed by then. This is the real world where not everything goes to plan, we get that. Please just give an estimate!
And, very much secondary to that, we wouldn’t mind a reason as to why this wasn’t sorted prior to macOs 10.15’s release. This is the exact reason why beta’s are released for developers, to fix any compatibility bugs prior to release. So your customers, you know, the people who buy your products and give you their hard earned money, don’t have to deal with unexplained dropouts in their service. I don’t have a windows computer. I have a Mac. And I can only access 1 file at a time through the web browser or iPhone app. That’s rediculous.

Oh and P.S. you do know that you can release beta’s too yeah? Not everything has to be a solid final release. Just get us back up and running.

8 Likes

I will be able to install the app in a few days so I’ll have the WD icon
 but I won’t be able to access my files?

Wow! Thank you!

3 Likes

This is incredibly unprofessional, WD. You’re acting just like a backstreet, shady, phone repair shop.
Use Windows? Wow! That’s a great solution. How about you give me my money back for a product that does’t work and for the inconvenience you are causing.
This is the last time I buy a WD product.

6 Likes

I believe WD staff are not seeing that the customers who are using the macOS are valuable customers!!! And pushing me and I believe many costumers as well to start using another product from the other companies that can understand the value of their customers.

I believe I will not buy the WD products again and I will not advice any of my friends to buy it since all of my friends who are using Mac and I had advised them to buy WD Cloud products are now blaming me for this advice.

Do you understand what does it mean by not being able to access our data from our computers?! Do you understand how we are suffering to work on our data on the WD Cloud disks?! Do you understand what is the value of the time we are wasting now to download our data we need from the WD Cloud disks to be able to use on our computers?! Do you understand that we cannot organize the photos saved on our WD Cloud disks because we cannot import it to our libraries?! I believe all WD staff cannot understand that because of this irresponsible words in this topic!!!

I cannot understand why WD staff did not work on the update since macOS beta version started?! I cannot understand why WD staff did not work on the update since a lot of customers alerted them that the apps are not working with macOS beta version and since they were promising every customer that they will release the WD new apps versions with the macOS new version?! Now the new macOS has been released and you are saying that you cannot provide an exact date of releasing the WD apps will!!! I cannot understand why WD staff did not prepare themselves for the new version of macOS since that was exactly happened with the last version of maOS?!

I believe WD has to be honest with there customers from the beginning and write on their products that they are not providing the macOS.

2 Likes

Let me explain to you the language you have used and how it comes across to me (and it seems many others). You Said:

" This issue will not be fixed in next weeks release.
We appreciate your patience, understanding and apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused. In the meantime, access to the My Cloud Home can still be obtained using the My Cloud Home mobile app for Android, iOS, [MyCloud] web app or by using WD Discovery on a supported operating system including Windows."

Ok First bit: “This issue will not be fixed in next weeks release.” This is a very blunt statement just saying it will not be fixed. Period. No idea when it could be fixed or even if it will be fixed. It kind of feels like you just ‘flipped us the bird’ and exclaimed out loud, “ha ha” like Nelson from the Simpsons: Nelson - YouTube

Second bit: “We appreciate your patience, understanding” - really? You do, do you? Well, this is an extremely presumptuous statement assuming that we are being patient and understanding. We clearly are not. Maybe we would be if you gave us a genuine update of when we may have access to our own private files again
 To me, this is equivalent to what is universally known as a bad idea, telling someone to “calm down”. Google: “never tell someone to calm down”

Do not tell us how we should be reacting.

And the third and final bit: " In the meantime, access to the My Cloud Home can still be obtained using the My Cloud Home mobile app for Android, iOS, [MyCloud dot com ](MyCloud dotcom) web app or by using WD Discovery on a supported operating system including Windows." -

Well, we’ve already established that the mobile apps and MyCloud dot com are not legitimate options to access our data. Sure, they do a decent job to access small amounts of data on the go. They can be very handy. But without local access to ALL our data, our devices are as useless as bricks.
And, Windows. Sure we can access our devices with windows computers. I don’t have a windows computer. Most everyday Mac users won’t have a windows computer. Just like most Windows users won’t have a Mac computer. Are you suggesting I should go out and buy an entirely new computer JUST so I can access my data?? I’m certainly not going to lug my WD MyCloud Hard Drive down to an Internet cafe to use their windows computers. Are you being OSist maybe? Are you suggesting Windows computers are superior to Mac computers?

Please communicate more effectively.

2 Likes

Hello everyone,

It is not understandable.

When did you start working on Catalina compatibility?
At least, will the next release rely on macOS technologies instead of bizarre WD proprietary stuffs that breaks at every releases. Apple is providing an API (fileprovider API) That would be used and could bring iOS Files integration also which is another big miss of My Cloud Home.

Could you clarify how this happened and what can be expected for the future.

Best

AF

5 Likes

OK
 So How Can I add files larger than 5Gb on the web? It was only possible with the WD desktop

4 Likes

As people have mentioned, this doesn’t even make sense. BTW - I already had WD Discovery installed when I upgraded to Catalina, and as far as I can tell it is still installed. It’s just not working. SO what exactly does Issue #1 solve? Please don’t wait another four days before responding to these recent questions.

3 Likes

Unfortunately maybe here in Italy there is no enough amperes to turn on the drive by plugging in the power
 :frowning: what kind of volts and amperes do you have?

1 Like

By the way, I want money back because I cannot access my files since days. Using the browser is not an acceptable solution for me, because I need them locally (e.g. very big photo folders to be edited with Lightroom now are not accessible)

3 Likes

Please give us when the new software will be released or I would also like my money back.

3 Likes

Hey WD Staff. Pass this to your superiors.

The way you treat your customers is incomprehensible.
I don’t think I’ll ever buy another WD product again. Great work douchebags.

5 Likes

Are you freaking kidding me? This is highly unprofessional. Why do we pay you guys a premium to get such lousy support?

6 Likes