WD Discovery 3.4.89 and macOS 10.15 Catalina Support

Hopefully there will be an update within few days…

2 Likes

yes this is very annoying… I can’t access my home icon anymore or get into my drive… Luckily I didn’t update my other computer for now… this is so annoying

3 Likes

The same happened with another product line: My Cloud Live. And it was worse, because neither via App we can access the data. In the case of My Cloud Home, I still can access my files via App on my iPad. It is really frustrating to don’t get the proper support from WD. They really don’t care about the customer.

3 Likes

Yup, all of a sudden, my drive is no longer accessible from finder.
WD’s development team needs to do better. The OS betas have been available for long enough for a solution to have been found by now and updated software written and distributed.
I’ve used WD drives for decades, but the repeated instances of this issue are making them less and less appealing, which is a shame.

4 Likes

Why, why, why, do so many companies/brands seem to have this bizarre policy to not say a damned thing when issues/bugs arise until after they provide a fix? How hard is it, seriously, to keep people informed as to progress in fixing a problem?

You WD, would appease so many people by keeping us in the loop. All you have to do is be honest and give an estimated timeframe that you think you will be able to fix this issue. It doesn’t matter if you go over that estimation, because you can just keep updating your customers and give a broad reason as to why there is a delay. Happy customers are returning customers and provide good reviews.

Communication is key in any relationship and we are all in a relationship with you. Don’t get me wrong, I like my WD Home Cloud Duo. It seems to be the only thing like it in the marketplace (unless anyone can point me in another direction for a private user). But you are the ones who have designed this device to be almost entirely dependant on you maintaining updates. I just tried to download my files from both the web access and from my iPhone, but couldn’t download whole folders because of what you seem to deem as a security issue. I can only download ONE file a time!!! At that rate, I could be at it for years.

For me the bigger issue is now I don’t have any reasonable access to all my very important files, and yet my device is right next to me! That is nut’s. I own the hard drive. I own my own files. And yet I feel as though you are holding them to ransom. What happens when WD no longer support the My Cloud Home Duo device??? Do I just lose all access to my files?? Because that’s how it appears.

Unless you can advise otherwise than I’ll definitely be looking for an alternative option.

7 Likes

This is unacceptable - how could you not see this coming - I am totally shut down until you provide a fix. I have a 20TB MyCloud Home - and it might as well be sitting in my cat’s litter box, because that’s what it’s worth right now.

9 Likes

yes this is ridiculous… After I realized I lost access, I stopped updating my other Macs… at least I can use those to get my files, but this is really ridiculous… The benefit of MyHomeCloud is the easy access on any computer to get to the files from anywhere… but after this episode, I think I have to look at an alternative solution.

3 Likes

I have 2 MyCloud devices and use OSX mainly because I want to control what data goes out to the web. If I trusted Windows and their undisclosed grabs from my machine (as well as effectively forced web connectivity) I would have located the data on a remote cloud. So you suggest using the very system software for access that caused me to purchase the drives in the first place ??

2 Likes

This is a really bad situation. Why didn’t you email all of your customers and let them know about this devastating issue? I run my business on this data and workarounds are taking an insane amount of time.

As consumers we expect and deserve daily status updates from you on this issue at a minimum. Daily.

As is stand now we don’t know if the issue will be solved in hours - days - weeks - months???

5 Likes

@SBrown or @WD_Admin Could we please get an update?

7 Likes

If WD had the intention of getting more people to sign up to the boards it worked. Im not going to rant. I just would like to know they are working on the update to 64-bit so I can work for my cloud.

2 Likes

Crickets…

1 Like

My next hard drive would NOT be a WD for sure. Any other would be better.

My cloud home product review:

• no remote turn on
  • no Linux/raspbian app
  • no network access (only via app)
  • very slow on little files (photos)
  • quite noisy
  • not working on macOS Catalina after 4 months of testing

As far as I know this is a huge fail.

4 Likes

I have gotten around the remote turn on problem by having the power plugged in to a networked power plug. Can turn it on from anywhere.

Hey guys, okay so I’m very new to My Cloud, I just bought my first My Cloud Home device yesterday. I have an iMac with OS Catalina. So my question from this is there no way to access the My Cloud device on the network without this Discovery App? I can see the My Cloud device on my Network under Finder and it asks for a username and password to access? So is there no way to log-in to this network mapped device without Discovery? Tx Gary

@Logan.S @AlexJ_WD @Bill_S @Captain_WD @Cassiern @Chushi_Cai @CK_WD @CZWang @Dashbeard

Good morning WD Staff,

We would like to get an update on the progress in fixing WD Discovery to work with MAC Catalina. We have reached out to @SBrown several time but have not received a response.

Thanks you,
The Customer

8 Likes

@diep_e @dwcsjca @gobears @cme @htb @Issac.D @jchen @joerg_a @john15

Good morning WD Staff,

We would like to get an update on the progress in fixing WD Discovery to work with MAC Catalina. We have reached out to @SBrown several time but have not received a response.

Thanks you,
The Customer

4 Likes

@jrichard @kathy.ly @lb_wd @lisa86 @Louis_Chen @Luke_Ottrey @MAC_Fafnir @MJ03 @majorglory
Good morning WD Staff,

Thanks you,
The Customer

4 Likes

I reported this issue to WD customer support a long time ago.

I upgraded to Catalina beta pretty much on day one and noticed the problem. Went through everything with customer support, It took weeks for them to inform me it wasn’t compatible with a beta, and I was assured it would be compatible with the official release.

Look at all the responses on this thread from WD customer support… oh wait there are none. Poor WD customer service as always.

Can anyone recommend a straight forward Plex NAS drive to change to?

5 Likes

When is the new version release anticipated - using an iphone app is NOT an acceptable solution for Mac users.

3 Likes