WD Black P40

Hi there,

I recently purchased the P40 and it appears to be having disconnecting issues while in use. I connect via usb C in the back of my desktop computer with the provided C to C cable

I have tried the following:

• Changing the cable to a C to C, and a C to A
  • Moving the cable to the A converter with provided cable
  • Leaving the P40 plugged in after restart so it loads the drive first
  • Using without the software (did not make a difference)

What I’ve found as a temporary solution to allow me to get through a gaming session is to ensure my computer is on a fresh restart, and connect the drive after logging in to Windows 10.

Are there any articles I missed or advice I get can from anyone who has fixed this issue? Thank you for your responses.

Hi @Bashea ,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:

Did you ever get a solution for this? I am having the exact same problem with my P40

Since you’ve tested different cables and USB ports, here are a few additional suggestions:

1. Update Drivers and Firmware: Ensure that both your motherboard’s USB drivers and the P40’s firmware are up to date.
  2. Check Power Settings: Go to your computer’s power settings and ensure that USB selective suspend is disabled.
  3. USB Port Power Management: In Device Manager, right-click on each USB Root Hub and select “Properties.” Under the “Power Management” tab, uncheck the option that allows the computer to turn off the device to save power.
  4. Test on Another Computer: Try connecting the P40 to a different computer to see if the issue persists.
  5. Check for Interference: Ensure that there are no other devices or sources of electromagnetic interference near your USB ports that could be causing connectivity issues.
  6. Contact Manufacturer Support: If the problem persists after trying these steps, consider reaching out to the manufacturer’s customer support for further assistance.

Hopefully, one of these suggestions helps resolve the issue.