WD 8TB Purple

I have an 8TB WDPurple. Setting up on Windows 10. I followed the WD “how to initialize” and then “How to partition and format” instructions. It split into a 2048GB and 5404GB partition. I can right click on the 2048GB and get “New Simple Volume” but when I right click on the 5405GB, it wont let me start the “New Simple Volume” wizard. So I am only getting one partition (~2TB) accessible. I would like to have it all together in one of 8TB if possible. Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks

Hi cmq,

Yes, it is possible to to have one partition of 8 TB and for that you have to delete all the partition using Diskpart command in command prompt (cmd).

To remedy the issue, please follow the instructions provided below:

1.) To determine the disk number assigned to the WD Purple 8 TB partitioned drive follow the steps below:

• From the Start menu right click on Computer which will provide a drop down menu.

• Choose Manage.

• Select Disk Management (listed under Storage).

• Look for the drive that is identified as the 500 GB drive. Note the Disk number (such as Disk 1).

2.) Open a Command Prompt window: click on Start and type cmd in the search bar. Then right click on cmd.exe and run as administrator. It will prompt you with the message, “Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer,” click yes. A black Command Prompt window will open.

3.) From the command prompt, type diskpart and press Enter. The diskpart prompt will open.

4.) From the diskpart prompt, type list disk and press Enter. A list of disks will appear in a text format. You will return to the diskpart prompt.

5.) From the diskpart prompt you will need to select a disk number (for instance, if the 8 TB drive is Disk 1, you would type select disk 1) and press Enter.

Note: Diskpart Erase/Clean will permanently erase/destroy all data on the selected drive. Please be certain that you are erasing the correct disk.

A message appears saying that the disk is selected. You will return to the diskpart prompt.

6.) From the diskpart prompt, type clean and press Enter. The drive’s partition, data, and signature is now removed. You will return to the diskpart prompt.

7.) The Command Prompt window will display the message “DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk”. Now the WD Purple drive can be re-initialized, partitioned, and formatted.

Thanks – this worked perfectly!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.