Warranty VOID because I am “of out of region”?

I bought a WD Elements 5TB drive less than a year ago when I was living in the USA, but have moved to Taiwan. The drive failed with a mechanical failure within a year.

I checked the warranty and the Western Digital website says that I am within warranty but “out of region”. It said to call support. When I did I got zero help from the call center rep saying that I am “out of region” and that there is nothing they can do.

Is there any way to get this problem solved. This hard drive currently is more useful as a brick and It is very hard to believe that even though I live in a city that has a physical Western Digital Support Center I cannot replace a failed drive just because I am out of the original country.

To explain what “out of region” means …

The product is outside the region (Americas, Europe-Middle East-Africa, or Asia-Pacific) where it was originally shipped. Western Digital sells hard drives directly and indirectly to most countries in the world. When hard drives are sold to specific regions of the world, they are sold with explicit warranties applicable to those regions only. When these hard drives leave their designated regions, their limited warranty no longer applies. The hard drive will have to be shipped back to the same region for which the drive’s warranty was created or contact the store of purchase for a replacement.

dunno, try contacting WD Support in the USA ?