VPN connection to home network through WD MyCloud

Dear all,

I want to make a VPN connection to my home network through the WD MyCloud.
Who can assist me in this matter?

Kindest regards,

Hans van Dijken

Officially you cannot do so with the single bay My Cloud units. You would need to setup a VPN server (for example the free OpenVPN - https://openvpn.net/) either on another computer/device on your local network, or see if your network router supports setting up a VPN server.

If you haven’t done so already, use the forum search feature (magnifying glass icon upper right) and search this subforum for “VPN” as this question of using VPN to access the My Cloud comes up from time to time. A past discussion may have additional suggestions.

Thank you kindly Bennor!

Pretty interesting thing.

Officially one accesses the My Cloud from a remote location using the WD remote access methods of MyCloud.com or the WD My Cloud mobile apps, or using the insecure FTP.

Generally for the single bay My Cloud units (the subject of this subforum) one cannot (officially) run a separate VPN server on the My Cloud itself. The My Cloud firmware is a customized version of Linux (Debain and or BusyBox). Adding or updating modules on the firmware may potentially brick/render the My Cloud unusable. Generally one would setup a VPN server on some other network device like the router or a computer (or device like a Raspberry Pi or similar). Several consumer router manufacturers offer VPN Server capability right in their firmware.

Oh, I thought it was for the last month. I thought that it will make it automatically because the tool is plugged in directly to the router. So when you use VPN it automatically goes to the location that you have set from your computer. Also, I didn’t knew that there should be a special VPN that will support this kind of things. So, if there are people that are searching for good VPNs, you can take a look on this website https://www.vpntesting.com/reviews/cyberghost. There are the best VPNs on the world market and all the needed information about each.

I thought that it will make it automatically because the tool is plugged in directly to the router.

Thanks for the step by step tutorial. This works really well for us, thank you!
My Texas Benefits