Using one external drive as a back-up destination for 2 laptops

Hi,

I have two laptops, one running Windows Vista and the other running Windows 7 Home Premium. I’d like to use my recently purchased 1 TB WD My Passport Ultra as the destination drive for backing up from both laptops.

How do I go about doing this?

Do I partition My Passport into two partitions, one for each lapytop and if so, do I partition My Passport on my Vista laptop or on my Windows 7 laptop? Or does it even matter and will both patitions be recognized by both laptops?

Also, and since re-partiotioning the drive will erase all existing data, how do I go about ensuring that each partition will have the WD untilities which are currently on My Passport?

Thanks in advance…

OmarSh,

If the backup is handled by WD SmartWare the application will proceed to create separate backup folders for each computer system, and are named as such (“BillPC”, “SashaPC”, “MikePC”, etc.). However, if you are using a different backup method then it would be best to consult the recommendations in the F.A.Q. or documentation for said application.

1 Like

JStaff wrote:

OmarSh,

If the backup is handled by WD SmartWare then application will proceed to create separate backup folders for each computer system, and are named as such (“BillPC”, “SashaPC”, “MikePC”, etc.). However, if you are using a different backup method then it would be best to consult the recommendations in the F.A.Q. or documentation for said application.

That is a very good answer, JStaff… :laughing: My intent was to use WD SmartWare for both indeed. 

I am off to start my back up. Thank you very much!