Using an easystore external hard drive with your router USB as a network drive

I purchased a 12 TB easystore external drive thinking it’d be great to use as an external network drive. In researching how to set it up, I’ve found it to be much more difficult than I expected.

My router has a USB 3.0 port, and my laptop can see the drive and copy files to it. My other computer on my network (Surface Pro 3) is unable to see the drive. Both computers are using Win 10 64 bit operating system.

In spite of My Surface Pro 3 computer not being able to see the external drive, I HAVE been able to copy and paste files and photos from the Surface Pro 3 to the easystore Hard drive via my Dell laptop.

I have tried following several different approaches in getting the drive set up properly. I’ve both read and watched videos on instructional setups on how to set up a Network external drive with a USB connecting to your router. I also have read the router instructions and have not had any luck that way either.

One of the problems I have when trying to get the Surface to see the drive, is I get a Windows Security message pop up, asking for a user name and password. I never set up a user name or password for windows security, but inspite of that, I tried using the user name (admin), password (admin) that my router suggests I use for accessing the router. Didn’t work.

Now in looking at this WD community, I can’t find any help re: the easystore series of external drives. Is there anybody reading this that can offer help?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to offer your input.

thanks for the such kind of information that you share with us.