Unable to see Family folder

This update cost productivity and loss of time, because the whole point of buying this product was for the convenience of shared access to the Family folder. The instructions for re-sharing were difficult to find, and WD could do better with providing better guidance, quicker access to instructions, and/or sending communications to device owners for major updates such as this one.

1 Like

I bought this device only for this feature and I have been moving around for some time until I know that this feature is no more available. PLEASE WD do something to bring it back, otherwise this device is not useful anymore for me and this will lead to a very bad consequences on the long run for you as a trust worthy company.

2 Likes

Clarify when WD will release that update and please respect your clients.

3 Likes

On August 21st, the My Cloud Team have stated that the Family Folder functions (in particular the desktop access) will be restored. It is now over two weeks from this statement. Has either an upgrade been released or has there been a further statement ?

3 Likes

Absolutely nonsense!

2 Likes

Hello, I also got the family folder message and with this an error message to my husband’s email. After this message, I actually completely lost my folder. This was all I had incl my life time of photos. It is not only not on the desktop app anymore but I also can’t find it only. Can WD please help me?

1 Like

Does anyone has an older version of WD Discovery software, where we can still use the “Family” folder on Window Explorer? Is there any chance of uninstall this new version and get back to the older one?

2 Likes

This update makes no sense.
We have been using Family folder for a couple of years and now we have lost the purpose of using this equipment.

Please reverse this.

1 Like

I think the WD answers was a kind of game, so I suggest to take a legal action we lost our money ant that caused many of psychological and moral problem for most of us.

Who’s with me?

In the same situation.
Everything is still the same.
I used to like WD products, but this kind of situation is quickly reverting my opinion, and hold my purchase of 4 WD Passport Wireless Pro 1TB SSD’s until this is resolved. If it’s not, then I’ll go for another solution.

2 Likes

This is really disappointing. I have like 6TB of files unnable to use right now with this change. I need this fixed to keep my job working, so please, you need to reverse this soon as you can.

At least, there is any way that i can move the folders and files to other folder? Or maybe download entire folders and not just individually files? @SBrown please, help us with this situation…

1 Like

i think that the unique solution is open all the computers with the administrator acount for all see the Family folder… anyway is not the best option :frowning:

2 Likes

Flipbo - did you get a Ticket # for your call to support? Having worked in High tech 25+ years and in Tech Support, my suggestion is we all reference the same Ticket # in our comments and “pile on” with the impact for our particular situation. This is a bug and now false advertising on top of it as the drive is no longer a “NAS drive”. We bought this drive for exactly that reason and now they took the functionality away for a product we paid for!

We need this fixed ASAP so we can:

1. ACCESS THE FILES ON IT FROM FINDER AND EXPLORER!
  2. USING REASON #1 ABOVE, WE DRAG AND DROP FILES TO OUR PUBLIC WEBSITE THAT SUPPORTS OVER 100 USERS! Why would I want to download and then upload vs drag and drop?? Who does that anymore???

The Product Manager, Praveen Aravind should be fired if this was his decision. How in the world would you expect anyone to want to use their tiny phone screen to manage their critical file systems for mission critical workflows? The web interface is a joke as I said, who in their right mind wants to “download” over 1,000 files to move them or use them in alternative places???

#unbelieveabledecision #mycloudfailure #fixthisbugasap #truthinadvertising

3 Likes

Excuse me but…We all are using your product as a NAS drive via Finder or Explorer and this feature was fundamental to it. Some of us are even doing mission critical work with it for others. “Bringing it back in a near future release” is equivalent in our worlds as "fix this bug ASAP" Bug severity 1 (response in less than 12 hrs.)

How can WD even think that this is not something we depend on and why we bought the product in the first place. Countless hrs have been spent by all of us trying to workaround your “poor choice” of options.

To bring this home to you so you feel our pain more maybe…It’s like WD says, I’ll pay your salary and then decides to remove that “feature” from your employment. FW updates the payroll system hardware and bang zoom no paycheck for you. How would you feel???

Out of respect for your customers, please state when the release to reverse this will be released out into the wild.

3 Likes

hello i’m in Korea

I have setup WD Discovery Home at my office with around 10 people connecting with him.

Having the same issue
This is Terrible Issue

Please give to Solution to this issue

3 Likes

#WD Support @ Please understand the importance of Family folder we bought this device to make our life easy and after this update you made it complicated process of sharing and storing files with other users

#reverse the update or make family folder available for desktop user immediately

4 Likes

#reverse the update

We are still waiting for a solution? Really?

4 Likes

Yes, it is true, the only utility we as a company had in this solution was access to the Family folder via windows explorer. Now let’s recover the disks and throw the rest in the trash.

We ask to reset the previous firmware to make the family folder available but I see no way … We can’t wait days for answers …

1 Like

Currently I have 2 hard drives my cloud home, one for personal use and one in the office for collaborative use, in my house the software has not yet been updated and the family folder is still available for my home computers, but the one of the office now the only way to view the folder family is via web which makes it very difficult to share information without local access in windows with wd discovery, this is the worst update I have seen, although they improved the web functionality of seeing folders shared between different devices, delete the family folder of wd discovery is the worst thing they have done in terms of productivity, I will look for a way that does not happen with my disk at home because it is used a lot to share information.

i need to know how to make the return of the wd 4tb hard disk that was purchased for my company, as the purchase was made specifically searching for this functionality, as wd has decided to make changes i see in the obligation to device discover the delivery or make a judicial demand for deceiving advertising as this functionality described appears clearly in the box.

2 Likes