Unable to Enable Core Isolation Memory Integrity due to Western Digital Driver (Windows 10 2004)

This just (22 Mar 2022) became an issue (Win 11 Pro Eval on SurfaceBook1) and it REALLY IRKS ME!!! I see a monster corporation - two in collaboration, actually - pushing a software update on MILLIONS of subscription-paying users, that EXPOSES THEM TO HACKERS in a very unexpected way, and NOT remedying it themselves.

No! They push the remedy off to the MILLIONS OF UNSUSPECTING USERS who have now got a security warning, to each, individually spend some hours finding a solution, and setting it to rights on each individual computer.

I, for one, will make future choices of memory systems with the whole body of information available to me, including THIS!!

You monster companies KNOW this ■■■■ is happening, and that YOU caused it, but, do you push our a fix? Naah, that would take work. Let the users do the work, we have their money already,

1 Like

I’m ■■■■ annoyed myself! This is bloody irresponsible of both WD and MS!

Western Digital hasn’t fixed this yet? It has been at least two years since I first encountered it. What would it take to recertify the old driver again with microsoft? If you aren’t going to fix the WDCSAM driver error affecting Windows 11 Core Isolation, can we at least have the source code for the driver so that I can fix it for Win 11 requirements and send it to microsoft myself? Cmon, WD, maintain your products because seagate su…per!

Releasing a new product does not make you exempt from fixing previous releases! Everyone else’s drivers work. Also the NVME black drives are nice, and they get hot enough to cook an egg. Now I need some teeny tiny little eggs to cook on them. Remember the aluminum foil!!

Win 11 Core Isolation Failure due to WDCSAM driver incompatibility… Didn’t work in Win 10 either. Delete inf? Registry entry? Software pack? How to fix?Please help! This nagging windows error is unbearable!

Anoyyed_User above might be on to someting! I’ll try that.

This works! Eureka! I was able to remove “oem34.inf” in Step 5a from Windows 11. This was the only incompatible driver. I did need to return to Settings > Privacy & security > Windows security > Device security > Core isolation and click to turn it on, which instructed me to reboot again for it to take effect. And it did!

1 Like

Below is an article that explains step-by-step the work around when this issue does occur. Please see the following:

Windows 10 Version 2004 and Later: Memory Integrity Cannot be Enabled for Core Isolation in Windows Security

Genio! Muchas gracias! Funcionó a la perfección.

Absolute Genius!
Thanks a lot mate!

It worked. The reboot was momentarily worrisome as it asked some new system setup questions, but nothing was lost. Was able to re-enable security features. Nice set of instructions above!

This worked under Windows 11, 9/7/2022.

Don’t forget to disconnect any WD USB external hard drives. Until I did that, the driver showed as “connected” in step 4. Once the USB drives were unplugged/powered down, the driver no longer showed as connected and step 5 worked per the instructions. I then enabled Core Isolation Memory Integrity, restarted the computer, and reconnected the USB drives which still worked fine and dandy.

Many thanks for the clearly written instructions.

I have the same problem, please provide the exact location (URL) of the updated drivers, that support the Windows 10 ‘Core Isolation / Memory Integrity’ security feature. .

Unless you have a very new drive, these supposed to be updated drivers are just not there. WD obviously does not see the need to provide updated drivers for drives of more than a few years old . I guess that it is because they expect that these older drives would have failed already.

I have several My Book drives and whenever I connect one of them to my PC, automatically the SES driver gets installed again by Windows. I keep on removing the driver in Device Manager and enabling Core Isolation memory integrity again each time after using the drive.

So much for the customer support of WD.

1 Like

The graphical user interface GUI way to remove the drivers when the devices are not plugged in:

1. Device Manager
  2. View → Devices by driver
  3. Find offending driver in list, remove it.

See youtube video if uncertain.

1 Like

Thank goodness I read till the end! This is SO simple and worked like a charm. Thank you!

One small word of warning: if you scroll down the list for something like ‘oem35.in’ (as I was), the numbers are not ordered in normal numeric value. So that item will only be found AFTER all the numbers starting with 1 and 2 (i.e. well after 110, 290 etc). But aside from that - amazing.

Dear Annoyed_user!
You my friend are a hero!!!
I followed your instructions and although my drivers were in use, I had backed up my drive images with Macrium Reflect 8.0 which is a breeze to restore my system if all went wrong, so I deleted those pesky silly drivers and all seems super. Protection is now ON! and WD Passport Ultra drives mount & work fine.
If you are ever on the Mediterranean island of Cyprus in Limassol then there’s many beverages coming your way!

1 Like

Thank you A LOT. I just fixed using your method after weeks of headhache :pray:

1 Like

Hi. just a thank you for “annoyed-used” #16/35 for the “pnputil” step by step
AND
“sliphius” #28/35 for sharing that need to unplug the USB EXT WD harddrive… before it
will disappear in pnputil /enum… (step 4) so it will not be connected and can then proceed to step 5. in “annoyed user” post. Then, restarted machine, enabled core-memory protection; restarted machine; plugged USB EXT WD harddrive back in. it works; core-memory protection remains in place. (another rabbit- hole Windows adventure)

Total hero - I’ve been trying to sort this out for hours. I’ve just created an account exclusively to be able to thank you - amazing! Although why WD / Windows don’t present their own solution astounds me. But anyway, I’m so glad it’s now sorted. Thank you sooo much!

This has dragged itself out somewhat.

In June 2023 I updated this machine to W11 22H2 from W10, and hit the problems described here. On investigation, the drivers inhibiting the MS feature were an old one for my trusty Epson dot matrix and the WD oem17.

Neither of these drivers were active, and my attached WD HDD backup devices were using a 4. “something” SES driver, and the Epson another default driver. The very presence of these in the driver store, albeit out out of date and not even deployed, is sufficient to stymie the W11 safety feature implementation.

I followed the @annoyed_user approach, which worked a dream. I was especially irked by this problem, as apart from my WD backups, I have just replaced a dwindling SkyHynix SSD system drive with a fresh new WD 1tb item, where the firmware update via Dashboard worked well, yet WD have really left this unsolved, apart from a few unhelpful suggestions.

Thank you. I could resolve the problem.