Unable to connect to Sky Sagem Router

Hi

I have just purchased the WD TV Live device, but I’m still having trouble connecting to my PC via the above router.

When I first tried a Wired connection, I spent a day trying to get that to work and it turned out to be caused by the network cable I first used. Now using a shorter cable, it works perfectly.

Today I received a new Buffalo WLI-UC-GN USB Adapter, but I cannot seem to get it to work.

When I plug the USB adapter into the device and turn it on, a small blue light indicates that the USB adapter has been recognised. I have tried letting the device find the network, which it does (using WPA-PSK security), but after entering the correct key, it says that it is unable to find an IP address etc.

I’ve tried doing it automatically and manually, and I’ve also tried different security types, but it just cannot get an IP address from the router (which is setup to be a DHCP server).

And if I enter an IP address manually (withing the range served by the router), with correct subnet mask and DHCP and DNS addresses it still doesn’t work.

All the above addresses etc, except for the wireless details, are exactly the same as I used for the Wired setup.

I guess I’m doing something wrong, but I cannot think what it might be.

So I’m really hoping some bright spark will be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

Terry

Hi Terry,

Do you have MAC address filtering enabled in your router’s wi-fi security settings?

If so, have you added the USB adaptor’s MAC address to the safe list?

That was the cause of my USB adaptor failing to obtain an IP address, despite it ‘seeing’ the wifi network.  :slight_smile:

Hi PixelPower

Yes, I have that enabled and I’ve just realised that I only have the MAC for the WD device entered. So do I also have to enter the MAC for the USB Adapter (the Buffalo WLI-UC-GN) as well? And if so, where do i find the MAC for that?

Thanks

Terry

Hi again

I just wanted to tell you what happened just a few minutes ago. It might give you a clue as to what’s going on.

On the WD device select “Wireless”.

Then select “Manual”.

Enter the “SSID” from the router.

Then select “WPA-PSK TKIP”.

Enter the Password, which I assume is the Network Key from the router.

Then, on the “Select Connection Mode” screen it shows all items blank. It does not even display the SSID which I just entered.

So, if I select “Manual” again I then enter the IP Address, the Subnet Mask, the Gateway and the DNS, which are the IP address of the router.

Then I press “Finish”.

The “Please wait” circle pauses for about 15 seconds or so, then goes round a few times and then says “Unable to obtain an IP address etc”

The problem seems to be something to do with the SSID maybe? Although if I let the WD device search for the SSID, it finds it straight away?

So at the moment I’m at my limits.

So the person who solves this paradox will get a huge thankyou.

Terry

Check your router setup

are you sure its not  WPA2?

Hey Terry,

Yes, you absolutely need to add the MAC for your USB adapter.

The MAC for the WD TV is actually for the onboard NIC / LAN port.  As far as your router is concerned, the device attempting to connect is the USB adapter.

My Belkin USB dongle has the MAC address written on the back.

-edit-

Just googled your Buffalo dongle and see the problem!  That’s one small dongle.  I suspect the MAC address will be somewhere on the original packaging.  

-edit 2-

Actually, when the dongle is plugged into a PC or laptop, go to command prompt (Run… then ‘cmd’) and type:

ipconfig /all

That will list all details for connected network adapters.  Within the info for your wifi adapter, look for “Physical Address”, that’s the MAC address.  :)

Hi NYTEMAYR

It is definitely just WPA-PSK.

Apart from WEP that I have also tried, there is also WPA-802.1x

Regards

Terry

Have you updated the firmware on the WDTV since you have had it. Which Firmware are you on now?

Have you tried:

resetting to factory defaults

resetting via the side button with the power on.

leaving the unit unplugged from any power for a few minutes.

Do all 3 one after the other before using the unit.

Plug the USB adaptor back into the unit and reconnect power.

Attempt to connect automatically.

If that does work try the other USB port.

Everybody should first try the above if something is not working as it should.

I use this mini adaptor and it works perfectly without any problems.

terrymold wrote:

Hi PixelPower

Yes, I have that enabled and I’ve just realised that I only have the MAC for the WD device entered. So do I also have to enter the MAC for the USB Adapter (the Buffalo WLI-UC-GN) as well? And if so, where do i find the MAC for that?

Thanks

Terry

You could disable this until you get your unit set up.

He was able to connect / set up with a wired connection, according to his first post.  He’s trying to get the wifi working now, so disabling it might make that tricky. :wink:

The problem is almost certainly that he has MAC filtering enabled (confirmed) and hasn’t added his USB dongle to the safe list (unconfirmed; he hasn’t replied to state whether he has done so yet).

PixelPower wrote:

He was able to connect / set up with a wired connection, according to his first post.  He’s trying to get the wifi working now, so disabling it might make that tricky. :wink:

The problem is almost certainly that he has MAC filtering enabled (confirmed) and hasn’t added his USB dongle to the safe list (unconfirmed; he hasn’t replied to state whether he has done so yet).

I understand what you mean and I am sure that you are correct regarding the problem.

If however he still has problems its always best to to switch off security measures while you are setting up the connection and then turn it back on one at a time. The security is just getting in the way at the moment.

I am not sure how disabling it is tricky, I believe he still has a cable, its just that he wants to go wireless.

Anyway I believe there is no doubt that once he finds the MAC he will be up and running.

Hi to everyone for all those answers.

I haven’t been able to find the MAC for the adapter yet, but I will install it on my PC and check what one of your replies said.

And there definitely isn’t much room on the dongle to write anything, but I’ve looked through all the paper that came with it, but couldn’t find any reference to a MAC. Maybe there will be something on the CD that came with it?

I’ll get back here when I know something more.

But thanks very much to everyone so far. I must also say that this is one of the best support sites I have been on for a while.

See you all soon

Terry

richUK wrote:

PixelPower wrote:

I understand what you mean and I am sure that you are correct regarding the problem.

If however he still has problems its always best to to switch off security measures while you are setting up the connection and then turn it back on one at a time. The security is just getting in the way at the moment.

I am not sure how disabling it is tricky, I believe he still has a cable, its just that he wants to go wireless.

Anyway I believe there is no doubt that once he finds the MAC he will be up and running.

I thought you were telling him to disable wifi… !

Why I would think you’d suggest that I have no idea; reading comprehension fail on my part.  :frowning:

-edit-

@Terry:  Probably won’t be on the CD.  If it’s not on the device it would usually be on the box it was packaged in.  If it’s not on that… try my suggestion in my previous post!

Also, as richUK points out, you can disable MAC filtering as a temporary solution until you determine what the MAC address is.  That should at least get the wi-fi connected.

terrymold wrote:

Hi to everyone for all those answers.

I haven’t been able to find the MAC for the adapter yet, but I will install it on my PC and check what one of your replies said.

And there definitely isn’t much room on the dongle to write anything, but I’ve looked through all the paper that came with it, but couldn’t find any reference to a MAC. Maybe there will be something on the CD that came with it?

I’ll get back here when I know something more.

But thanks very much to everyone so far. I must also say that this is one of the best support sites I have been on for a while.

See you all soon

Terry

After looking more closely at the adaptor it appears that the MAC address may be printed on the metal sleeve of the plug. The middle set of 12 alpha numeric characters certainly conform to the MAC standard.

Hi all

Great news!

It all works perfectly! Now all I have to do is find where I put all that hair I’ve been pulling out over the last few days.

And this is what I did, in case anyone else has a similar problem.

The Buffalo WLI-UC-GN dongle came with a CD. From that CD, I had to install the three main programs.

At that point I was then able to get the MAC for the dongle via ipconfig /all.

Then I uninstalled all three Buffalo programs.

Then I went into Wireless Setup on the Sagem Sky router (F@ST 2504) and selected the Access List. In there I deleted the reference to the MAC for the WD device, and added the newly found MAC for the Buffalo dongle.

Then, to my utter amazement and astonishment and …, when I turned on the WD device, selected Setup, and then Network setup, and then Wireless setup, there were all the IP addresses and the SSID waiting for me.

All I had to do then was enter the Network Key and away it went.

And of course, without all the help, tips and everything else, from the readers of this forum, all this probably wouldn’t have happened for ages.

So once again everyone, thank you very much.

Best regards

Terry

And I almost forgot. I am running XP Pro SP3 and the WD device version is 1.02.21

Can you confirm that the MAC you entered is the same as the one printed on the medal sleeve of the adaptor. It could help other users find their MAC address without the hassle of installing onto a computer. Thanks