Try to install Node.js on my cloud and end up Segmentation fault:(

First, I downgrade to the latest v3 Firmware and I follow this guide:

to install build-essential on my cloud to try have some Node.js

Then, I wget the amrv7 version of Node.js and manage to install it and it work fine:)

But then, I try to install qbittorrent following this guide: qbforums.shiki.hu/index.php?topic=2696.0
After I run this:apt-get install qbittorrent-nox
it seems updating a lot of things(about 100~things

Then it show error:
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
And then I don’t know what is that, I think it means something go wrong lol

I try to type node -v and it shows Segmentation fault
Then I think ‘holy moly~!’ and try to restore firware:(
I get into it but it show tons of error:((
and I try to upload the firmware But then it say it can’t run @@
and I go back to ssh and type /usr/local/sbin/updateFirmwareFromFile.sh /DataVolume/sq-030401-230-20140415.deb But it only show Segmentation fault, and make me show sad:(

I try to perform cp comment to replace the sources.list but no luck, it is Segmentation fault, what mean is it anyway?:frowning:

What can I do now:(? is that thing brick?need help~

And there was your problem. Running “apt-get” on the v3.x/v4.x firmware, due to its 64K paging file size, will more often then not brick the My Cloud or cause serious firmware problems as you discovered. The app one installs to the v3.x/v4.x firmware has to support the v3.x/v4.x firmware 64K page file size.

One can attempt if their My Cloud is still responsive to reflash the v3.x or v4.x firmware. If that fails or cannot be done then unbricking is probably the next (and possibly only) recourse.

Once again it must be stressed in this subforum, do not run apt-get on a v3.x/v4.x firmware version My Cloud.

Is there anything I can try before I pull the harddisk out from my cloud:(? It seems super hard

As previously indicated you can try to reflash the My Cloud Firmware, either using the Dashboard (if one can reach the Dashboard) or via SSH (if one can reach SSH).

https://community.wd.com/t/how-to-firmware-update-via-ssh/95476/2

If that fails (which it appears it may have per your first post) then you may end up having to unbrick. There is some discussion on unbricking without opening the My Cloud in the following thread.

https://community.wd.com/t/unbricking-without-opening/95064

thx, will go to check it out::slight_smile:

I thought v3 firmware used the standard 4k page size? Which is why many people stick with it, so they can install from standard repositories.

v3.x may be 4k, don’t remember off the top of my head. But in any case as we’ve seen repeatedly running “apt-get” almost always causes problems, in many cases bricking the My Cloud due to WD apparently having modifying the standard Linux OS.

The unbricking without opening post is very helpful:)!
I don’t need to pull hardisk out and I also get synology diskmanger installed!!
ThXD