True that support (firmware) for Gen 1 is discontinued?

just trying to get the record straight - I heard that WD has discontinued support / firmware releases for Gen 1 device . . .

true story?

Thanks.

I hope not, because the device still has issues. I already have a Velociraptor that had problems, and if this is true I will never BUYanything else from WD

I mailed to WD about the lack of firmwares and the guy told me that they are working on a new firmware for GEN1 but he told me that he couldn’t say when the firmware is released or what it would contain. but I don’t believe them :smiley: In my opinion, they will never release a firmware for gen1.

thanks for the input cudi, i hope they do something . . . i got kinda freaked out when i saw this:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-HD-Mini-Ideas/This-is-for-the-first-Gen-WDTV-media-player-WDAVN00BN/idi-p/11545

direct quote from WD: “Unfortunately, the Gen 1 WDTV HD has been discontinued. We won’t be able to make any new improvements to it. Thanks for your feedback.”

Also this:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-HD-Mini-Ideas/Fix-color-decoding-it-s-wrong-most-of-the-time/idi-p/11461

direct quote: “Unfortunately, the WDTV HD Gen 1 has already been End Of Life. We won’t be able to make new updates to that platform.”

Its known as Gen 1 because it a first generation, and as with all things related to electronics and computers, there will be an end of life with a product within a 2- 5 year period, if not sooner. I just gave the Gen to a less fortunate family member, give them as much assistance as I can offer while steering them away from the limitations of the unit, and moved on to the WD TV Live. It appears you have your answer from the post within your links, as it came from a WD Staff member. The Gen 1 is EOL and there will be no further updates.

So the life of the Gen1 was about 1 year and 6-7 months? I guess having everybody buy new WD HD was bettter for WD. LOL.

Lost a client here, and probaly many more.

WD_Guru - I understand all that, but with the amount of still existing issues with the device’s firmware, I am surprised to see them just throw in the towel and stop supporting.

That leads me to believe we’ve got about 3-5 months of support left on the WD TV Live before they turn their backs on us, leaving their customers with devices that do not work properly or as advertised.

I am not sure what the logic would be behind that.

Hey what problems are you having with your velocirapter?  I have two but havent had any problems could I help?

Yeah I have only had my gen 1 unit about a year and a couple of months.  Its got all kinds of weird bugs in it.  I really hate that you cannot fast forward some avi files especially when there is a terminating error within the file you think WD could put some error correction into the unit.  Basically the whole menu system is backwards and could be alot better with more intuitivness i.e. if you plug something in generally you want to use that device why you have to go through so many options in the menu I donno doesnt make sense.  But if they could just fix the bugs I would be happy.  Oh yeah WD write the serial number bigger whoa what kind of font and pitch are you using -1 I mean the print is so small I cannot read it even with glasses on.  The whole sticker is like 1 inch in size couldnt you spare a half a penny to make the sticker larger and thus the typeface???   Whoa things like this just beg to wonder if anyone at WD is home and uses the products.

You’d be surprised how much big companies like WD are willing to remove from a product for just half a penny. Because…the way they look at it…if they sell 1 million units, they’ve just lost 1000 dollars. If they do this enough though, they’re more likely to lose 1000 customers.

Thats OK, but why they ( WD ) just dont tell us the truth?? Bill_S? I have a

Gen2. but its the same thing. For the Live is new firmware for Gen2 no? Why?

Sorry for my bad english.

I had read that WD were aiming to release firmware updates for GEN1 in MAY (2010), I believe from a WD representative.

I have my Gen 1 in a plastic bag, awaiting a firmware update to make it useable with the media file formats I have, MP4 and M4V.  I have been very disappointed with the whle WD experince with media players so far, I even briefly tried the LIve, which I quickly realised was covered with very similiar issues and returned.

Could WD please give us users/customers ( I used to be so Happy buying WD products!!!) and update for the release of “adequate” firmware?  I could do without the smooth menus, movie covers etc…  I just want a media player that plays media without sound sync issues, and can FF and REW without problem.

Please let us know what the intentions are for Gen 1?

Hi, I have a WDTV Gen 1. I`m very disappointed with these news.

I will buy the new popcorn hour c-200, it looks better and support bluray reader.

greetings

I asked WD if the firmware supoort for Gen 1 was ended or not? their answer : “If this was posted on the IDEAS section and was responded by WD then it is true.” ??

i think it’s safe to say that they’re done with it . . .there isn’t even a link on their website anymore to the latest firmware, all info on their site refers to the gen2.

OK so this device - to the best of my recollection - came out November of 2008 . . . .and the last official FW update was November of 2009 . . .so they supported it for exactly one year, right?

When did the “Live” come out? October 2009?

So “Live” owners (myself included) likely have about 5 months before support for that thing is killed off too. The way WD moves, that will be one, maybe two more firmware updates at most . . . and that’s it.

Any reason to believe that  all of the Live’s issues can and will be fixed in one to two updates?

Based on WD’s track record, I don’t see any reason to think they’re going to even try.

awmr1 wrote:

i think it’s safe to say that they’re done with it . . .there isn’t even a link on their website anymore to the latest firmware, all info on their site refers to the gen2.

There is a link to the latest firmware for the Gen1. http://www.wdc.com/en/products/wdtv/ You can access it by going to the firmware page for the Gen2 and then clicking the link in " Click here to go to the WD TV HD Media Player (Generation 1, model:WDAVN00) update page."

I’m not saying that they still support it, because I don’t beleive they do.

nijaju wrote:

awmr1 wrote:

There is a link to the latest firmware for the Gen1. http://www.wdc.com/en/products/wdtv/ You can access it by going to the firmware page for the Gen2 and then clicking the link in " Click here to go to the WD TV HD Media Player (Generation 1, model:WDAVN00) update page."

I’m not saying that they still support it, because I don’t beleive they do.

while I have NO WAY to prove it - I am 99% sure that that link was not there earlier today . . .

. . .either way, thanks . . and I agree, they’re done with it.

YES IT IS TRUE… It is confirmed that there are no updates.  Below is an online conversationI had over several days.  I AM EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED, anybody else?   I think it is deploreable that WD can do this to their customers, I thnk we should complain.

Quote from WD  “Regarding the firmware update, our engineers have determined that no further updates will be released for the WD TV HD Media Player (Gen 1).”

It is ashame this news is coming from a customer, were is the customer service?  You can see how the story changed over a few days.

Below is the conversation in full.

Dear P,

Thank you for your reply.

I am sorry you feel this way.

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,
WR.
Western Digital Service and Support
http://support.wdc.com
 Customer (P Deleted) 06/13/2010 06:42 PM
Hi WR.,

I don’t think I fall into this category for a (Gen 1) product, I have had it just over one year, most of the time in a plastic bag.

I am now very disappointed. There appears nothing WD can do for me, and I am stuck with a WD lemon. WD have left me with the feeling that they sell at any cost to the customer and wash their hands of built in problems. I have learnt a lesson about WD media players.

Thankyou for you help WR, again not your fault,

All the best

P
 Response (WR.) 06/13/2010 04:46 PM
Dear P,

Regarding your latest request, please visit the link below.

Answer Title: How can I get a refund or credit for a WD product?
Answer Link: http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=477

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,
WR.
 Customer (P Deleted) 06/10/2010 09:58 PM
Thankyou WR you have been brilliant,

I guess I am very disappointed by WD, as the unit never lived up to what it was intended for, or what I bought it for to play, MP4 movies. It was clearly marketed that it would play these movies extensions, and I reasonably assumed this would be without sound sync problems.

Can I return the unit for refund? To re-encode the movie collection is not an option for myself (unless WD would like to send a super fast computer for the task, only kidding) as it would take too much time and effort. Its not a pleasant task on my computer and not one I would even contemplate. The unit should be able to play the movies I have, they are nothing special as I have pointed out.

I am still like the WD brand but I would feel extremely disappointed by this process, if I was left with a sold product that was effectively defective for me from the purchase date. AS explained I have been of the expectation fostered by WD that there would be a firmware fix.

Thankyou for letting me know the facts on the updates, I do appreciate this.

All the best, P
 Response (WR.) 06/10/2010 09:12 PM
Dear P,

For better results, you may try using a different media encoder software to re-encode your videos.

Regarding the firmware update, our engineers have determined that no further updates will be released for the WD TV HD Media Player (Gen 1).

Sincerely,
WR.
 Customer (P Deleted) 06/08/2010 11:28 PM
Hi WR,

The high variable rate maybe part of the issue, this unfortunately doesn’t help me as far as all my files encoded with this setting, too many to think about re-encoding at this stage Wascar. Again no other player has a problem with these files (Playstation, Astone and all the software I use on the PC such as VLC MediaPlayer) . The previous update of HandBrake the default setting was a fixed rate of 1,200kBs and even these files suffered the same problem, this is where the problem first began with
myself.

Unfortunately it seems to me to be a globally deficiency in firmware (Forum) for this gen1 product (extending into the newer generations as well). I have been having problems with the unit in this regard ever since I bought it, being told an update will occur. I am happy to wait for the update… As long as I know it will occur. This still seems very vague to me, from WD answers, moving on to newer generations, it all sounds very uncertain.

Given this uncertainty, can I return the player for some sort of credit or repayment?

Thankyou for being understanding and trying to help, P

Most of my collection on WD drives is currently in the format (MP4) that plays very poorly, and I had expected to have no problems with a brand name like WD or at least a fix, that was promised to arrive. It is almost useless to me until a satisfactory firmware update.
 Response (WR.) 06/08/2010 06:18 PM
Dear P,

I apologize for the difficulties. I have study the MediaInfo file provided and the issue seems to be caused by the high variable Bit rate of the file (1,865 Kbps). I recommend you re-encode the files into a slower bit rate. Although we can’t recommend any particular software, the one you are currently using (HandBrake) should do the job well.

Answer Title: List of compatible media file types for all WD TV models
Answer Link: http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2698

Sincerely,
WR.
 Customer (P Deleted) 06/08/2010 06:14 AM
Thankyou WR. (added a bit more info. from last email…weblink etc)

I wish WD could be more definite.

Is there an opportunity to return the WD Gen1 player and recover my money, or obtain a voucher so when WD does fix this problem I can rebuy?

Most of my collection on WD drives is currently in the format (MP4) that plays very poorly, and I had expected to have no problems with a brand name like WD or at least a fix, that was promised to arrive. It is almost useless to me until a satisfactory firmware update.

I have attached one of the problem MP4 mediainfo, hope it helps. I am sure WD has lots of these as examples from other users as said on the WD Community forum. http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-HD/We-re-getting-pissed-off-WDTV-MP4-MKV-AAC-audio-sync-issues/td-p/16880 ( http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-HD/We-re-getting-pissed-off-WDTV-MP4-MKV-AAC-audio-sync-issues/td-p/16880)

MediaInfo

General

CompleteName : Q:\Pacific , The (MP4 TV)\Pacific, The - FINALE-1.mp4

Format : MPEG-4

Format_Profile : Base Media / Version 2

CodecID : mp42

FileSize/String : 806 MiB

Duration/String : 55mn 35s

OverallBitRate/String : 2 029 Kbps

Encoded_Date : UTC 2010-06-03 17:16:07

Tagged_Date : UTC 2010-06-03 18:04:56

Encoded_Application : HandBrake 0.9.4 2009112300

Video

ID/String : 1

Format : AVC

Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec

Format_Profile : Main@L3.0

Format_Settings_CABAC/String : Yes

Format_Settings_RefFrames/String : 2 frames

CodecID : avc1

CodecID/Info : Advanced Video Coding

Duration/String : 55mn 34s

BitRate_Mode/String : Variable

BitRate/String : 1 865 Kbps

Width/String : 716 pixels

Height/String : 574 pixels

DisplayAspectRatio/String : 16:9

FrameRate_Mode/String : Variable

FrameRate/String : 25.000 fps

FrameRate_Minimum/String : 12.500 fps

FrameRate_Maximum/String : 25.000 fps

Resolution/String : 24 bits

Colorimetry : 4:2:0

ScanType/String : Progressive

Bits-(Pixel*Frame) : 0.181

StreamSize/String : 741 MiB (92%)

Encoded_Library/String : x264 core 79

Encoded_Library_Settings : cabac=1 / ref=2 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x1:0x111 / me=hex / subme=6 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.0:0.0 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=3 / nr=0 / decimate=0 / mbaff=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=2 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / wpredb=0 / wpredp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=19.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 /
qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

Color primaries : BT.601-6 525, BT.1358 525, BT.1700 NTSC, SMPTE 170M

Transfer characteristics : BT.709-5, BT.1361

Matrix coefficients : BT.601-6 525, BT.1358 525, BT.1700 NTSC, SMPTE 170M

Audio

ID/String : 2

Format : AAC

Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec

Format_Version : Version 4

Format_Profile : LC

Format_Settings_SBR/String : No

CodecID : 40

BitRate/String : 160 Kbps

BitRate_Maximum/String : 213 Kbps

Channel(s)/String : 2 channels

ChannelPositions : L R

SamplingRate/String : 48.0 KHz

Resolution/String : 16 bits

StreamSize/String : 63.6 MiB (8%)

Customer (P Deleted) 06/07/2010 09:57 PM
Thankyou WR.

I wish WD could be more definite.

Is there an opportunity to return the WD Gen1 player and recover my money, or obtain a voucher so when WD does fixed this problem I can rebuy?

Most of my collection on WD drives is currently in the format that plays very poorly, and I had expected to have no problems with a brand name like WD or at least a fix, that was promised to arrive. It is almost useless to me until a satisfactory firmware update.

I have attached one of the problem MP4 mediainfo, hope it helps. I am sure WD has lots of these as examples from other users as said on the WD Community forum.

General

CompleteName : Q:\Pacific , The (MP4 TV)\Pacific, The - FINALE-1.mp4

Format : MPEG-4

Format_Profile : Base Media / Version 2

CodecID : mp42

FileSize/String : 806 MiB

OverallBitRate/String : 2 029 Kbps

Encoded_Application : HandBrake 0.9.4 2009112300

Video

ID/String : 1

Format : AVC

Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec

Format_Profile : Main@L3.0

Format_Settings_CABAC/String : Yes

Format_Settings_RefFrames/String : 2 frames

CodecID : avc1

CodecID/Info : Advanced Video Coding

Duration/String : 55mn 34s

BitRate/String : 1 865 Kbps

Width/String : 716 pixels

Height/String : 574 pixels

DisplayAspectRatio/String : 16:9

FrameRate_Mode/String : Variable

FrameRate/String : 25.000 fps

FrameRate_Minimum/String : 12.500 fps

FrameRate_Maximum/String : 25.000 fps

Resolution/String : 24 bits

Colorimetry : 4:2:0

ScanType/String : Progressive

Bits-(Pixel*Frame) : 0.181

StreamSize/String : 741 MiB (92%)

Encoded_Library/String : x264 core 79

Encoded_Library_Settings : cabac=1 / ref=2 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x1:0x111 / me=hex / subme=6 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.0:0.0 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=3 / nr=0 / decimate=0 / mbaff=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=2 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / wpredb=0 / wpredp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=19.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 /
qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

Color primaries : BT.601-6 525, BT.1358 525, BT.1700 NTSC, SMPTE 170M

Transfer characteristics : BT.709-5, BT.1361

Matrix coefficients : BT.601-6 525, BT.1358 525, BT.1700 NTSC, SMPTE 170M

Audio

ID/String : 2

Format : AAC

Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec

Format_Version : Version 4

Format_Profile : LC

Format_Settings_SBR/String : No

CodecID : 40

BitRate/String : 160 Kbps

BitRate_Maximum/String : 213 Kbps

Channel(s)/String : 2 channels

ChannelPositions : L R

SamplingRate/String : 48.0 KHz

Resolution/String : 16 bits

StreamSize/String : 63.6 MiB (8%)

Response (WR.) 06/06/2010 06:04 PM
Dear P,

Our engineering and development team is still working on updates for the WD TV HD Media Player (Gen 1), but honestly, the main focus is set on the new media players (Live and Gen 2).

We will be expecting the MediaInfo text file for the video files you’ve been having issues with.

Sincerely,
WR.

1 Like

This is how it started WD started for the message above from WD…  which was clearly incorrect

Response (WR.) 06/06/2010 06:04 PM
Dear P,

Our engineering and development team is still working on updates for the WD TV HD Media Player (Gen 1), but honestly, the main focus is set on the new media players (Live and Gen 2).

We will be expecting the MediaInfo text file for the video files you’ve been having issues with.

Sincerely,
WR.

and finsihing with from WD

“Regarding the firmware update, our engineers have determined that no further updates will be released for the WD TV HD Media Player (Gen 1).”

I will write that ignominy to every where in my country.

I will make everybody know that they finish support for a device with lots of problems in less than 2 years. 

I will make my frieands not no buy any WD product.

I am very disappointed. I thought WD is not a simple company and I can trust them. but they are simple.