Trouble backing up my Mac (with Time Machine) to my WD passport

Hi there,

I’m hoping someone out there might be able to help me figure out what’s going on.

I just bought a 1tb WD passport (external hard drive) to backup my Mac. I’m currently operating on a Mac OS x 10.5.8 (leopard) with a 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor.

I checked out information on line, and followed the following instructions to format my passport for my Mac: 

First I erased the contents of the drive →  utilities>desk utilities>erase - went to volume format Mac OS x extended (journaled), and formatted the drive.

Next I went to the partition section and set the volume scheme to 1 partition, formatted again under Mac OS x (journaled) under the Guild Partition Table partition scheme. According to what i checked out online, this should allow me to back up my Mac via Time Machine, but after a few days of trouble shooting the backup always stops at 52.9 of a 168gb backup. When I click to continue the backup, Time Machine ostensibly keeps backing up but then again arbitrarily shuts down with no additional information copied to the drive beyond the 52.9Gb.

Is there anything that I’m doing wrong, or can anyone suggest anything that might work? This is going on day four and is getting very frustrating. Thanks, in advance.

Barbara

You can also use the disk utility app to test the passport, try that and see what happens, if the test completes successfully the problem could be with time machine or some other software that is causing the conflict. Check the link below for the steps.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/866/session/L3RpbWUvMTM0OTIwODA0OS9zaWQvSWFoWjhLN2w%3D