New My Passport stopped backing up

My brand new 1TB My Passport backed up a couple of times on my iMac running El Capitan, now says “Cannot complete backup, error occurred creating backup folder”. Is only a few days old, nothing has been changed obviously since installing it. What do I do? Has to be the latest software doesn’t it, I only installed it on Dec 27, today being Jan 7.

Hello,

What backup software are you using? If you are using WD Smartware, try to uninstall it and reinstall it again.

Thanks for getting back so quickly. I am backing it up through Time Machine on my iMac. Last night I restarted my Mac and tried again and was successful. I’ll wait til tonight and see if it works today automatically by itself. I always thought with a hard drive, it stored all your photos music and other files in case you lose them or your computer to some emergency, however when I look at what’s been “backed up”, I find my applications but it says I can’t open them because they’re part of a Time Machine backup? How do I know my photo library of 12 ,000 pics and important documents are actually on there?

Jackie