Transmission running on WD MY CLOUD EX4 - can't find files

I apologize if this was in the wrong area, and even more if it’s already been answered somewhere  but after searching couldn’t find a solution. 

I’m  working off of my laptop and decided to pick up a MY CLOUD EX4 to move everything onto before I start building a new desktop. 

I was easily able to download and seed using whatever client I chose on the desktop but I can’t keep my laptop running 24-7.

In comes the ex4. I installed  transmission from the apps section of the dashboard, running firmware 1.03.41 and after setting it up I tried to download and seed a couple of files. 
It looks like I’m seeding those torrents, but I can’t find the files anywhere.

The default download location when I check the torrents on the transmission web interface (from the wd dashboard) is “/mnt/HD/HD_a2/Public/Transmission”  It doesn’t seem to matter what I path I enter it returns to that path. 

example of info from running torrent…

Activity

Have:3.90 GB (100%)

Availability:100%

Downloaded:3.91 GB

Uploaded:1.99 GB (Ratio: 0.50)

State:Seeding

Running Time:46 minutes

Remaining Time:22 days

Last Activity:None

Error:None

Details Size: 3.90 GB (14,904 pieces @ 256.0 KiB)

Hash: bc8547f3021ae43d53b6a19a66d7877f8ecb38fb

Privacy: Private to this tracker – DHT and PEX disabled

Origin: Created by ruTorrent (PHP Class - Adrien Gibrat) on Tue Jun 24 2014

Any ideas what I’m doing wrong? 

Thanks in advance,

X

Hi xilr8, I don’t have a lot of experience with the Transmission app, maybe some of the other users can give you some advice. You can also check out the transmission forums. 

https://forum.transmissionbt.com/index.php?sid=9780ccfd05c53724adfe6cc396ff3bc3

1 Like

Thank you Ichigo, I will see what I can find. 

Do you have any other suggestions for  downloading and seeding torrents?

This is due to the start.sh script which hardcoded the download folder

mnt\HD\HD_a2\Nas_Prog\Transmission\start.sh

You can either edit the DOWNLOAD_FOLDER (line 20) to your preferred download location OR remove “–download-dir $DOWNLOAD_FOLDER” from LINE 39

if [-f $path/config/settings.json] ; then
	echo 'Start Transmission with existance settings.' > /dev/console
	transmission-daemon --port 9092 --config-dir $path/config --download-dir $DOWNLOAD_FOLDER
1 Like

Thanks Daniel, I will give that a try and get back to you!

I haven’t made much progress

Running putty I cant login, I always get access denied using the correct username and password on my local network. When I try to do it via the web interface to my ip it times out without ever connecting. 

Port 22 is forwarded through my router. 

It’s probably something simple that I’m missing but at this point Im stuck. 

The ex4 is doing everything else I need it to very well, (although a little slow on a gigabit network im getting 12-25 mbs compared to usb 3 transfer speeds of 50-60 mbs I’m used to.)

Any ideas where to go from here?

xilr8 wrote:

I haven’t made much progress

Running putty I cant login, I always get access denied using the correct username and password on my local network. 

What login id are you using when connecting via putty?

1 Like

admin, with the password i set in the dashboard under “configure ssh”

That’s the problem. The password you are using is correct - the username should be sshd, not admin.

If this resolves your login issue and sends you on your way to resolving your Transmission problem, then please click on the star to the left under my username to give me a kudo.

1 Like

That did allow me to login locally thank you!

Still can’t login via my ip addresse but i’m one step closer. 

Kudos well deserved!

Now I’m stuck not knowing which file contains the startup script that is running in order to edit it, or change the default download folder…

](http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu250/xilr8_99/Puttyscreenshot3.jpg[/IMG])

xilr8 wrote:

Still can’t login via my ip addresse…

You’re welcome. But what exactly do you mean by the above comment? I know you can now login via putty wherein you are required to put the IP address of the EX4, so I am not clear exactly what you are referring to above. Please clarify more (the more detailed the better) and I’ll help if I can.

1 Like

Sorry, I can log in via my local ip 10.0.0.8 but when I try to login via my actual external  ip 50.188. etc it times out.

I was trying to allow a freind who is much more experienced login and it keeps timing out on him. 

I’ve gotten a bit further and now i’m just trying to locate the correct file to edit… 

](http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu250/xilr8_99/Puttyscreenshot3.jpg[/IMG])

Thanks again for the help. 

xilr8 wrote:

Sorry, I can log in via my local ip 10.0.0.8 but when I try to login via my actual external  ip 50.188. etc it times out.

I was trying to allow a freind who is much more experienced login and it keeps timing out on him. 

Yes, you can use the internal IP to log in as long as you are within the network. Outside the network (ie. outside your home) you friend will only be able to access if you forward port 22 FROM your router TO your EX4’s 10.0 IP. But be sure to do the forwarding on your router and not on the EX4…some people cofusedly do the port forwarding on the EX4. And if you have two routers in the network - i.e. one ISP’s router and one internal router you have to do port forwarding on both routers. First port forward port 22 on the ISP’s (external) router to go to the IP of the internal router (e.g. if the LAN addresses on the external routers are all 192.168.xxx then find what the 192.168 address is for the internal router - probably gonna be 192.168.1.2 but not necessarily - go into the web console of your external router and find out what IPs are assigned to what devices…and then after you’ve setup that port forwarding, go into the internal router’s web console and setup the second port forwarding to forward port 22 to the EX4’s IP…which I believe you said is 10.0.0.8). You don’t need to worry abput your external IP - except to find out what it is and give it to your friend. The idea is to have your friend come in to your external IP (from the Internet) and then get him forwarded from your external router to your internal router and then finally to the EX4. And if you only have one router then skip my guidance on the second router.

I can’t give you specific directions on how to set up the router port forwarding - as different routers have different user interface. But the idea isto setup TCP port forwarding on port 22 to the destination IP (whatever it is - second router’s IP or EX4’s IP).

If the info here helps you get this other issue of having your friend sshing from outside resolved, another kudo on this post would be appreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you again Cybernut, that is very helpful, and makes total sense. 

I’m also making headway on the original issue and can navigate to the correct directory, and see the “start.sh”  file

just working up the courage to try editing it now ;o)

](http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu250/xilr8_99/Puttyscreenshot4.jpg[/IMG])

Go for it. Be sure to first backup the original as something like start.sh.orig, including preserving timestamps and permissions on the file using the -p switch of the cp command…e.g. cp -p start.sh start.sh.orig

Editing it won’t break your entire EX4. This affects only the functioning of Transmission. This is nothing…I had to take far greater risks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great tip thanks!