Timeline for Servers to be back

Take out the disk you connect it to linux copy all your data… All

obviously you hadnt read their past review over the years… be it nas or usb or internal… their customer service always been BAD. Luckily i backed my important data 4 times… one NAS (MCH),
2 external (1 WD and 1 Seagate) and one cloud storage (Microsoft Azure Blob Storage with data in Archive access tier for low cost long term storage, only pay more when data need access as last resort). The only reason I choose MCH was their app interface compatibility with iphone and android for photo backup, and the convenience of having the data in house but didnt fully understand how it worked until i bought it. but I am very glad they activated smb last year which sadly its too technical for most people here to understand. I can still use my MCH but the backup from phone has become too tedious without the app. lets hope they sort it out before Easter weekend.

if you’ve read their customer service reviews from past customers over the years it next to non existent.

If you open on a Linux computer, would you be able to access it locally?

Ext4 will open in Linux and you can copy all the data

They must have done somthing. The light on my 4TB MyCloud unit still blinks however I am now able to access my files. No communciations from them last several days to provide a status update to WD consumers here.

Local access or sth ? Or the disk just appeared on your dashboard

Actually if negligence caused the loss they may very well be liable for data loss. And if there was any failure of diligence on part of company creating the opportunity for the breach that would also be the case. As a global company they are exposed to that liability in several locals I would suspect

It certainly does. Plus it’s interesting that the local storage permits local access but depends on the remote authentication. You would think that they could firewall their authentication from their network and run it standalone or design it so they could then it could be made available to at least grant the local access. I actually got through to a support human this morning and all I got was a regurgitation of the 3 day old text on the status page. Shows a real lack of customer skills

Hello guys,

I had same issue. I needed very important file from hard disk therefore I tried this method.

I connected one of the WD60EFRX hard disk to my computer. This is my suggestion it’s urgent. Disclaimer I’am not advising anyone to this process because you might lose your files. Good luck guys!

1 Like

You are really full of useless information aren’t you? You keep junk posting about some nonsense and corporate shills then having to delete them. I have been posting here for years without having to delete or be ashamed of any of the posts. Some posters really need to think about what they are doing before going further.

I have been telling My Cloud Home users to turn on ‘local access’ and install Tailscale since January and if they had done so, they would still have access to their data locally and remotely even with the Western Digital servers down.

Where were you? More junk posting elsewhere?

Hi @NoPlex

Does Tailscale work for customers who didn’t enable local access before the outage?

Just curious because WD Staff told me since I didn’t there is nothing further I can do…

Thank you!

The short answer is unfortunately no, there is no easy way to turn on local access short of physically hacking the My Cloud Home which some in this subforum have started to do but there is a long history of hacking the unit even prior to the current episode of server downtime.

Western Digital has turned off their servers to protect user data because they think there is a chance that their NAS type devices could now be vulnerable to attack. If any user needs to access their data right now and if they hadn’t backup or enable local access prior to this incident, then they have to resort to something like this link below. All the software required to recover the data is free - do not listen to spam posts asking users to buy expensive recovery software that may not work.

ITS WORKING NOW

:grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

Glad to know it is working for some! I have managed to enable local storage and all went well until step 11. Windows file explorer network error “Windows cannot access \MYCLOUD-*****”. I dont get a chance to enter a username or password.

Using my tablet, I got further and gained access to log on and entered my username and password successfully. However, I am unable to open any of the 3 folders presented, none of which are my original ones!!!

Has anyone got a fix? Help!! Many thanks

Hi again, @Pato:
You must see 3 folders: Public, TimeMachineBackup and YourUserName. This is your normal volume.

Question, @JrcVlcEs . I tried a hard reset on my My Cloud Home device (held down reset button for 30 secs) after thinking the problem with access was on my end. If I now try to reach my device through Windows File Explorer, it only shows me two folders, Public, and TimeMachineBackup, where before it also showed my username folder (just couldn’t access it). That username folder is gone now. Did I wipe my device? Or do I have some hope of recovering it if and when the servers go back online?

I think I have recent copies of any files on it, but if it’s gone it’d be nice to know now.

Hi, @jaydis:

Table 1.4

Reset Button Function Device Operation
Press for 1 to 29 During this function the My Cloud Home device will reboot, momentarily making it seconds inaccessible. This process does not delete data.
Press for 30 to 50 seconds This function will demote the Device Owner to a Device User in order to change ownership of the My Cloud Home device. This does not delete data and each user still has access to their data. However, when this process occurs, the next user to go through the setup process on the device becomes the device owner. The remaining users on the device are unchanged.
Press for at least 60 seconds Caution! This process will delete all data, all Device Users and the Device Owner. The unit will be reset to factory default settings and will need to be set up using your online My Cloud Account (My Cloud Home Device Setup). A new Device Owner will be set when the next person sets up the device through a My Cloud account. Reset has completed once the LED has gone through a period of rapid blinking and returned to a state of solid white.

Unfortunate, thanks for confirming. Very glad I kept my stuff mirrored on my laptop at the time. Having said that, I wouldn’t have tried this had WD pushed out an email a little sooner than today. Sure hope no one else loses vital data this way.

edit: ah, thanks for clarifying. Currently I can’t seem to get access to the control panel, because I just get prompted to make use of the WD app first, and that’s not working right now. Guess I’ll keep checking back to see if there are any developments, and once there are, I’ll see if I can get in an activate local access.