Time Machine Support

I have just upgraded the firmware on my Sharespace from 2.1.92 to 2.2.9

According to the release notes, the firmware adds AFP/TimeMachine support (since 2.2.8).  I can now access the drive via AFP which is a step forward, but the drive is still not recognised by the TimeMachine application.    I notice that the update has created a new user called WD_Backup / Time Machine User, so there is evidently something going on behind the scenes. 

Has anyone managed to set up a sharespace successfully to work with TimeMachine?  Any tips?  or do we still have to go along this rather tricky path:

http://safalra.com/other/time-machine-network-drive/

I am trying to do this too but have no luck.  I am interested to know as well.  Anyone?

It has worked with Time Machine for me with no issue- simply detected and backed up. Is there anything unique about your network?

using an ethernet cable try plugging your mac into the same switch that your network drive is on. my wd my book live works wired but not wireless…

i performed a version of the tricky terminal hack and got it working, but not happy with wd at the moment.

hmmm.  I am normally connected to my network via wireless.  I just tried an ethernet connection and YES  there is now a new share in the finder sidebar (sharespacename-Backup) and this is indeed recognised by TimeMachine.  No further tricks necessary.

BUT it doesnt work via wireless.    Any ideas as to what might be the propblem/solution?  Aardvark, are you connecting via wireless or ethernet?

I also notice that now I am connected via ethernet I can at last see the sharespace in the ‘shared’ items on the itunes side bar.  When connected via wireless the sharespace never comes up as a music server.  There is however apparenlty nothing availabel to share inspite of the fact that the service is on and the Shared Music folder full of mp3’s…

Other differences that I have noted between the wired and wireless connection: the Sharespace is visible through bonjour (via safari and Istumbler) when wired but not visible when wireless. 

Is this a port access problem? why would anything be different depending on wired or wireless connection to the same router?

Some routers split the wireless and wired devices into entirely separate networks.  I recommend that you contact your router manufacturer to see if you can bridge both networks together and/or disable any type of filtering between the two.

The above steps worked for me; I am using the WD ShareSpace with Apple Time Machine over WIFI for 2 Apple machines sucessfully. You can move the sparebundle file(s) by hand instead of using the “rsync …” command. I also created a new user “TimeMachine” and folder share “TimeMachine” in the WD ShareSpace.

Time Machine is just not working for me.  The Hub is registering as a device, but files are not moving back and forth.  One time I was able to play a sample from the Hub on the MacBook, but nothing going the other way.  I have tried it via the wireless, via direct ethernet cable, via USB computer-to-hub, etc.  I have spent hours on the phone with WD and Apple tech support, and all seems to be in order, but they are not talking to each other.

Seems that is not an uncommon problem.  I can understand why Apple does not want to facilitate this, as the Hub is competition with the Apple TV.  But WD should fix this, or at least be honest and not list Time Machine as a supported piece of hardware. 

One of the senior tech support guys from WD said he would call back today if he can think of a fix.  Barring that, this box gets returned tomorrow.  I just hope Best Buy honors their stated 30 day return policy, as they said they would when they sold this to me.  Best Buy has a very poor reputation for customer service.

You are confusing Apple TV (for streaming iTunes content to a TV) with Apple Time Machine (for backing up of date and restoring). :wink: