Support os x el capitan

I cannot connect even after upgrading to 10.11.2
I’ve tried to delete WD keychain items with no success. Neither the desktop software, nor the Finder, web browser.
Nothing works :unamused::cry:

If you cannot access it’s not the OS issue, it’s My Cloud’s fault. Try to restart it or reset to defaults(“soft” reset without deleting data).

I upgraded to 10.11.2 and now it works perfectly. it shows in my browser bar at launch and the show attached drives tab on desktop i clicked in OS works great. The cloud app is great as it allows linking or control is more accurate with my one drive, dropbox etc etc in one app.

I now see i had 2 issues, the main issue was keychain and now second was OS not seeing networked drives correctly which i read somewhere as a known issue on apples site. I am no expert on this like many here, but wanted to provide my story as i know from trouble shooting cars its easy to overlook the basic solutions by assuming something worse without double checking the basic steps first.

Keychain may not be your problem If your sure you have checked username, ports on router, ip address (my ip is reserved) and passwords for Time Machine which looks like it has it owns log entry in keychain apart from the other shares. I believe the file and pass systems are different and they have to use 2 different keychains to access the same ip. if the 2 keys are not identical i think as in my case it cased a conflict. NOTE>>>> I restored my router and started over as that may have mad a difference with provisioning things correctly though i had looked over it and seemed correct.

my only advice would be to start with the easy stuff, test the cable , sometimes they ship bad ones. consider deleting the software now that you have the OS update and reinstall the the cloud. If you do this make sure you delete all time machine entries and be extremely careful setting up username and pass for the cloud. sometimes a fresh start works. beyond that the experts on here say there are known issues with the cloud itself which has not been my experience as of yet. To be forthcoming i still only have a few files on it for testing, the cloud streams songs great and all files show on all of my access points including my smart tvs.
GOOD LUCK

Hi Big Jake

Thanks for the advice… I try to do ans see the outcome

I’ve upgraded to 10.11.2 and still not working. I’m not an expert and tried reading through the fixes but too complicated for me. Any simple solutions?

Is there a solution meanwhile?

Hi

This thread has made for interesting reading.
I am also struggling along using my WD My Cloud which is disappointing since I have always held WD & Apple products in high regard.
Has anyone found a workable solution for using WD My Cloud through finder while also being able to run Time Machine backups?
I am using El Capitan 10.11.2

Thanks

The following seems to have solved my issue with El Capitan Finder and My Cloud.

Click ‘Finder’ then ‘Go’ or hold down ‘CMD’ then press ‘k’
Enter the server address in the same format as the following example:
afp://WDMyCloud._afpovertcp._tcp.local/Pictures.
Then click connect.
This is all I have changed this evening and now My Cloud is working much much better.

I hope this helps anyone else who is struggling with My Cloud and OSX Finder.

Hi Guys
Surprisingly… After update both Mac and IOS latest firmware I’m able to sync using my iPhone 6 Plus but sadly not my iMac. Hopefully there will be update to address this issues

Does El Capitan update to 10.11.2 or 10.11.3 resolve the connection issue?

I am trying to run my iTunes library out of the my cloud, but the connection drops and fails all the time.

My cloud works fine on the PC, iPhone and Sonos.

Hi,

I just got WD my cloud and just like all of you I can’t get it to work with finder on el Capitan 10.11.3. Still no resolution to this problem? I will probably just take it back to the store…

I use a ‘work-around’ I picked up from an earlier discussion on this issue.

I created a standard login item (System Preferences - Users & Groups - Login Items). To do that I first used the Command K command to connect WD and then copied it from a finder-window into login items. Not foolproof, have to wait somewhat after start for the connection to be established and connection sometimes drops especially when there is an ’ overload’ because of too many processes (my own and the WD ‘maintenance’ programs) but it does seem to work. For now. Reminds me of the old days when we still accepted that we had to look under the hood to get things working.

Have you read through the entire thread? In particular did you try what Dblaze suggested two or three posts up?

Click ‘Finder’ then ‘Go’ or hold down ‘CMD’ then press ‘k’
Enter the server address in the same format as the following example:
afp://WDMyCloud.afpovertcp.tcp.local/Pictures.
Then click connect.

Oh, I forgot. I also set the network service to static (i.e. froze the ip-address of the WD)

Yes I tried this but there was no difference, it can not connect.

or, I tried that exact adress. what do you mean by “in the same format”? I’m not very experienced with these kinds of things. I don’t really understand how IP numbers work or stuff like that so I really don’t know what I’m doing, I just want it to work.

This WD Support document gives a general explanation of one way to access the My Cloud on the Mac using the “afp://wdmycloud” or “afp://wdmycloud.local” string. Note Step 3 in the following link.

http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=10438

One could also try the following strings instead of “afp://wdmycloud.local” to see if they can connect the Mac to the My Cloud.

smb://wdmycloud.local
cifs://wdmycloud.local

One can usually find the My Cloud IP address by accessing their router/gateway’s administration page and looking at the list if IP Addressess the router/gatway is handing out to DHCP clients. With the IP address for the My Cloud one can try to access the My Cloud that way, replacing “wdmycloud” with the IP address. Another way to find the My Cloud IP Address is if one can access the My Cloud Dashboad via their web browser, then navigate to Settings > Network. The IP address of the My Cloud will be listed under Network Profile.

By browsing your “router” which you enter on Safari as 192.168.0.1 <== this number can vary with different households, you can find the ip that is assigned to your cloud. This is the same ip that you use for your dashboard on Safari, like 192.168.0.15 which brings up your Cloud Dashboard.

Once you get the ip, map by click on “GO” in your Finder Menu, then select “Connect to Server”

Type in your server Address, or click on Browse to see what is on your local network. At my house I am using a new AC WiFi Router on top of my existing internet router so what happens is that I cannot see my Clouds because they are on another network. I think this is the trouble that a lot of users get into. If you cannot see your Cloud using Browse, you can access your Cloud using an IP and you have to determine that IP on your own; either by viewing your router status or logging page, or by guessing and trying incrementally ip numbers on the safari page :stuck_out_tongue:

here are some examples of mine
smb://192.168.0.16 <== this is a cloud that is set to DHCP and has gotten the ip from the old router

smb://WDMyCloud/Cloudy <== same cloud that was set to DHCP but you have to be on the same network i.e. 192.168.0 otherwise the name of the device WDMyCloud won’t resolve itself. This name is set on your Cloud Dashboard and the default is WDMyCloud. Cloudy is the share name that you create under shares.

afp://192.168.0.16 <== connecting using afp. AFP is slower for file transfers but quicker for huge directories like photos, ebooks or music. When I say huge, I mean 10,000 entries or more. Use SMB for all or most connections.

My Mac has two different network connections. When it uses WiFi, it has an ip of 192.168.100.26 <== notice the 192.168.100. When it is on ethernet, I use a fixed IP of 192.168.0.123 <=== notice the 192.168.0

So I think I covered everything. I had never had a problem with El Capitan through its various versions. I have a Macbook 12" that sleeps and switches between ethernet and Wifi with the clouds connected between the switching. I have another mac that is permanently connected to one of the clouds for my entertainment center that sleeps for most of the time.

None of my devices disconnects from my mac… unless… my router resets… then you might see a mapped drive drop out.

Good luck…

Thank you for your answer! I found the IP number on the mycloud dashboard, and tried it with both afp:// and smb:// and without the prefixes, and tried different versions of the user name (although I guess it needs to be the one that is set up in mycloud) but I still get the answer that there’s a problem connecting to the server and that I should check the IP nr and my connection. When I press “browse” in finder>go>connect to server I can see the mycloud, but I can’t connect. what am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your answer. I can see the mycloud in “browse” but it won’t connect using the username and password I set up initially. it doesn’t reject the password, it just says that there’s a problem connecting to the server. I don’t know how to browse my router, when i enter the number you suggested I come to some page where I’m supposed to put in passwords and stuff that I don’t have. Although I think I found the right IP nr through the mycloud dashboard. I only use wifi with my computer, to a modem/router from my broadband company.