Support os x el capitan

Hey, I deleted WDMyCloud from my Keychain, and it seems to be working. For now. Let’s see if this is the answer. Thanks so much.

2 Likes

deepakvrao wrote:

Hey, I deleted WDMyCloud from my Keychain, and it seems to be working. For now. Let’s see if this is the answer. Thanks so much.

waiting for your answer… if that is it… I’m upgrading to el capitan tonight!!

I think I might have stumbled upon the solution.

The wd certificate stored in keychain. I changed its trust setting to Always Trust

and restarted the mac.

So far it has connected directly via the finder. but i think it might not be using the AFP protocol now. instead it is using SMB given the icon i see in the finder (which used to come up when I manually used smb to connect via Go to server or cmd+k option in finder ) 

But before trusting the cert, the smb connection didnt allow write on the NAS file systems.

Now I can write.

I will keep a watch on how this goes - whether the connection is stable or not. (Command+K using afp connections didnt last long)

2 Likes

Well, it took me two days to achieve but atleast everythings working as it should. What I did was revert back to Yosemite by creating a Yosemite USB installer, booting into that then using disk utility to format my hard drive removing all traces of El Capitan, installing Yosemite in it’s place and hey presto my computer can permanently connect to my cloud. I created a time machine back up first before proceeding but because Yosemites older than El Capitan you can’t restore a time machine created in El Capitan but you can manually restore the contents. Long story short, I won’t be upgrading to El Capitan again until I can be reasonably certain it won’t mess up my system. I’m a photographer by trade, I live and die by my machine.

1 Like

Can you post a print how you do it? I can’t find the certificate in Keychain.

Tks in advance

Been working for about 7 hours now. Shows up in Finder as it did before with Yosemite.

Rebooted a couple of times, and I was asked for the WD Mycloud PW. Enetered it and it shows in finder.

Still getting this with TM though.

Last backup was before the fix though, so I’ll start with a fresh back up and see.

Time Machine completed a verification of your backups on “WDMyCloud”. To improve reliability, Time Machine must create a new backup for you.

1 Like

Don’t see WDMyCloud certificate in keychains - where is it located?

I didn’t do anything with the certificate. I deleted it from the Keychain, and did not tick ‘remember this in keychain’ when I reconnected.

1 Like

Its been a few hours and the connection is stable - even when the drive is not accessed.

AS for the certificate in keychain - i tried to upload the screenshots but they are not visible here for some reason . Dont know why.

Anyway, if you dont see *.wd2go.com entry in keychain, then probably you can add it.

Launch the wd my cloud app for Mac. it will prompt you with a certificate error. Choose the option of trusting that certificate.

Then it should appear in the keychain. problem is it wont be trusted for all servies. So in keychain > *.wd2go.com > properties > Trust - select Always trust from drop down for the first option “When using this certificate”

(that should populate rest of the dropdown menus with Always trust in the Trust section of the certificate dialog window)

Then close the dialog - it will prompt you with admin password of the system - key in the password and the setting would be saved.

Then restart the Mac.

2 Likes

tks, i got it.

it’s working

1 Like

Toufeeq wrote:

Its been a few hours and the connection is stable - even when the drive is not accessed.

AS for the certificate in keychain - i tried to upload the screenshots but they are not visible here for some reason . Dont know why.

Anyway, if you dont see *.wd2go.com entry in keychain, then probably you can add it.

Launch the wd my cloud app for Mac. it will prompt you with a certificate error. Choose the option of trusting that certificate.

Then it should appear in the keychain. problem is it wont be trusted for all servies. So in keychain > *.wd2go.com > properties > Trust - select Always trust from drop down for the first option “When using this certificate”

(that should populate rest of the dropdown menus with Always trust in the Trust section of the certificate dialog window)

Then close the dialog - it will prompt you with admin password of the system - key in the password and the setting would be saved.

Then restart the Mac.

Works - don’t forget to restart

1 Like

Great… good to know that…

After the last run of serveral hours - without any connection drops, I put my mac in standby. That connection was over smb.

When i woke it up, the connection was gone - Finder froze a bit - finally popping up the message that the file systems are not accessible anymore.

I clicked on the Wd Mycloud icon in the finder and it prompted for pwd, and after keying in the pwd it gets connected ! - over afp protocol i think. (which is good).

I dont see the old desktop icon (that usually indicates SMB protocol).

I didnt have to use the Command+K option and manually enter the hostname of the drive this time…

1 Like

I’m currently testing this too, and so far it seems successful.

BUT - it should be done with caution, setting all the items under “Trust” to “Always Trust” could open you up to some malware/security issues if the signing certificate is comprimised (not unheard of).

Currently I’m testing turning off some of the trust items that should have absolutely nothing to do with Finder access (setting them to "no value specified) - especially “Code Signing”, Secure Mail (S/MIME), IP Security (IPSec), iChat Security, Time Stamping.  I know that SSL should be Always Trust and maybe Kerberos but I’m not sold on EAP and X.509 having anything to do with it.

BTW - I have two WD2go.com certificates - the root level (*.wd2go.com) and one that appears to be device specific (device*******-********.wd2go.com) - my gut says that the device specific should be the most pertinent of the two.

1 Like

@Ricardo

you are right. all parameters wont be needed to be set to Always Trust.

EAP and x509 would be needed I reckon.

Moreover, I see only one certificate *.wd2go.com. Where do you see the other? Did you save the password to the keychain?

Also, they system is still not 100% stable. A while ago my connection was lost and I could not re-establish it from the finder directly. Had to go Command+K route. Might work after restarting the Mac. Will check it later and post the results.

1 Like

I have talked with Apple today, this is a known issue and the only thing they said was to wait for the next Update.

Hopefully that will be very soon…

3 Likes

Been 24 hours now and all seems to be working. Few reboots, lots of sleep wake cycles, and the NAS is showing in Finder as it should. It seems that my Time Machine issue also seems to have been resolved.

Only thing is after a reboot I need to manually enter the PW. Not needed after a wake from sleep, so it’s not a big deal.

1 Like

For me it seems that i have to enter password after sleep wake also… 

I do hope that Apple update fixes this permanently. I stil think the workaround we have implemented is not 100% robust.

1 Like

Have you deleted the WD from your Keychain? That is what I did, and I need to re enter password only after a reboot.

1 Like

deepakvrao wrote:

Have you deleted the WD from your Keychain? That is what I did, and I need to re enter password only after a reboot.

alright!.. I am installing el capitan tonight!! 

actually I never save the password on my keychain even on yosemite so I might not have notice the problem, Excellent detective work everyone!!

I have discovered that the drive will mount in Finder only after a reboot, but will not stay long. The drive is connected, though, because my TimeMachine backups continue successfully. 

Once the Finder connection fails, I cannot get it back without rebooting the mac. The only way I can mount through the finder is to mount afp:// with the actual IP address in place of the cloud name, enter the password, then choose the volumes I want to mount. They all open in independent screens. 

I hope they get this fixed. I won’t save anything important over there until I know its stable again…