Support os x el capitan

The solution offered by WD is nothing but a temporary fix, as I stated on Page 3 “From my experience this is only a temporary “fix” and it doesn’t stay connected. It also doesn’t help if I’m trying to access my content through the likes of Lightroom.” trying to do so just disconnects me and I cannot reconnect without having to reboot my system. Even so I still cannot access my content through Lightroom.

I am almost certain it is an El Capitan issue, something changed between the final GM candidate release and the public release on the 30th of September. I have two MacBooks, everything works seemlessly with the GM Candidate but goes to **bleep** with the public release. Same results from testing on both machines. So far, I am just running the GM Candidate, it’s my only true solution.

1 Like

I ran all El Capitan betas and when the public release came out I performed a clean install. Never had a problem connecting to the WD My Cloud through Finder or the WD app.

I have another two Macs that I simply upgraded from Yosemite to El Capitan. They connect perfectly fine to the WD My Cloud. Never messed with AFP, SMB, etc. The drive just shows up in the sidebar, I click on it and it connects.

1 Like

kimju wrote:

I ran all El Capitan betas and when the public release came out I performed a clean install. Never had a problem connecting to the WD My Cloud through Finder or the WD app.

I have another two Macs that I simply upgraded from Yosemite to El Capitan. They connect perfectly fine to the WD My Cloud. Never messed with AFP, SMB, etc. The drive just shows up in the sidebar, I click on it and it connects.

wonderful!! what is the firmware version on the Cloud?

The first El Cap betas came before WD started updating the firmware. Then came 307 and now 308.

Never had any issue whatsoever.

1 Like

kimju wrote:

The first El Cap betas came before WD started updating the firmware. Then came 307 and now 308.

Never had any issue whatsoever.

Thanks for replying Kimju!!

In one sense that is good news and in another it is disturbing news because now we don’t have a concensus that this is a problem and possibly be fixed in the future by Apple.  If a majority of Apple users with Cloud devices s are having no problems, then the remaining Apple users with Cloud devices that are having problems must be holding their Cloud devices wrong.

p.s. holding the cloud devices wrong is in reference to Steve Jobs answer to the dropped calls on the iphone 4 if you hold the iphone in a death grip thus cutting off the signal to the antanae. His answer to the problem was to hold the phone gently.

i re installed the wdmycloud software that lest a public folder on the desktop to  connect to the drive that way im on el capitan.

1 Like

WD FW updated to WDMyCloud v04.04.00-308 : Core F/W after El Capitan installs.  IP addressing is still same (have this one static routed in my network when I initially set it up months ago.)  As stated, I can access the cloud via finder>GO>Connect to server, but that does not keep the drive mounted.  I have to access the MyCloud drive that way every time now.  So it’s not a complete loss of the drive, just a loss of permenant mount access via Finder sidebar.  

I’m trying a few other options.  Let me know if you have more questions.   

1 Like

enigma_cipher wrote:

WD FW updated to WDMyCloud v04.04.00-308 : Core F/W after El Capitan installs.  IP addressing is still same (have this one static routed in my network when I initially set it up months ago.)  As stated, I can access the cloud via finder>GO>Connect to server, but that does not keep the drive mounted.  I have to access the MyCloud drive that way every time now.  So it’s not a complete loss of the drive, just a loss of permenant mount access via Finder sidebar.  

I’m trying a few other options.  Let me know if you have more questions.   

Same exact issue here.

whsbuss wrote:

You do understand TimeMachine does not just copy file for file. It does indexing so you can enter TimeMachine for specific data by date. So you will see slower backups - and it get slower the more data you have on that share. Not specific to MyCloud.

Understood there is indexing, but the initial backup creation is a copy to a sparse bundle, so it should more or less operate at “wire speed” 

By comparison, I inserted a new local USB 2.0 drive and made a full TimeMachine backup of the same ~650GB of data and it was completed in ~13hrs.  Since the gigabit link to the MyCloud drive is orders of magnatude faster than USB 2.0 the initial backup certainly shouldn’t take radically longer - especially since a simultaneous raw file transfer goes orders of magnatude faster.

BUT - that’s not on topic for the issue of the thread, which is the automagical mounting of the WDMyCloud drive in Finder.

ralphael wrote:

is it an WD OS3 Cloud problem? or El Capitan?

I’d suggest it is both - it’s an interaction between the two.  If it was purely a breakage of SMB then I couldn’t mount the MyPassport drive natively, and since the MyPassport isn’t running CloudOS 3 then it points to an interaction between the two and not a simple breakage by Apple.

1 Like

ralphael wrote:

is it an WD OS3 Cloud problem? or El Capitan?

I’d suggest it is both - it’s an interaction between the two.  If it was purely a breakage of SMB then I couldn’t mount the MyPassport drive natively, and since the MyPassport isn’t running CloudOS 3 then it points to an interaction between the two and not a simple breakage by Apple.

excellent… so now we wait… it shouldn’t take too long from Apple; a few days to a few weeks at the most. However anything WD might take awhile… perhaps years  :-P 

Hopefully we won’t have to wait to long as it’s a pain as their are a few documents on mine that I need for my wedding. I have been in close comunications with our buyer who has been in touch with a few of the directors at WD so I am hoping we have a fix in the next day or so.

Magentajet wrote:

Hopefully we won’t have to wait to long as it’s a pain as their are a few documents on mine that I need for my wedding. I have been in close comunications with our buyer who has been in touch with a few of the directors at WD so I am hoping we have a fix in the next day or so.

ok if the directors of WD are getting involved it will take longer!! 

I hope you have backups of your vows for your wedding? :stuck_out_tongue:

Kazzzzz wrote:

Hi there,

There may be an intermittent discovery issue of network devices when connecting through Finder’s sidebar on Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan). Please follow below steps in order to have access to your Wd MyCloud device untill further notice :

1. Select Finder
  1. In the menu bar, select “Go”, and then “Connect to Server…” (alternatively, one can press Command-K)
  1. In the Server Address box, type afp:// followed by the name of your device that’s listed in the sidebar. For example:

afp://wdmycloud

1. Choose Guest, or Registered User to login to a private share
  1. Click Connect
  1. Choose the share name you wish to mount

Need Help? Please click below for further assistance or contact us at 1(855) 556-5117
https://wdsupport.wdc.com/sfdc/case.aspx

I tried this and it still didn’t work. Interestingly, it still seems to be creating timemachine backups, and I can open shares by going to Connect to server and enetering the (DHCP) assigned IP address rather than the share name. However, that only mounts the shares as open items. It does not let me manage the folders in Finder directly.

Ralphael wrote:

Magentajet wrote:

ok if the directors of WD are getting involved it will take longer!! 

I hope you have backups of your vows for your wedding? :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah I managed to get them off last night and my wedding speech… That could have been bad. Just plugged a Ethernet cable in and set it up on a local network. 

“directors of WD are getting involved”

My god this will take ages LOL

Best get a refund now then…

I worked with WD Level 2 support yesterday. Magically the problem went away . My drive is working again, and I honestly don’t know how because I didn’t touch a thing. Supremely frustrating. I’m going through apple and we logs to figure out what may have happened/changed without me knowing.

Grr…kinda.

And here lies the problem.  Going to Finder/ Go/ Connect to Server and opening lets say using My Cloud Shared Videos, it’s true that the folder will open.  The problem is many of the folders that previously were named and now shown as a jumble of numbers and letters as the folder name.  I have no idea which folder contains what.  I have to individually open them to see the contents.  This is not a viable solution.

I had the same problem and fix it disabling iCloud Keychain . I think the problem is " El Capitan " and the way it´s storing the encrypted password, because I had the same problem with a WiFi network password and also when i disabled the problem gone.

How did you do that? I don’t have icloud enabled for keychain in the first place. Did you disable keychain itself?