Support for .trp files

I am just new with the wd tv live player and i like it very much bit if have same problems with a file format.

I just wondered why the wd live player does not support .trp files, as produced by some satellite receivers like kathrein. I also wondered that the wd tv player will support it since version 1.02.00 as mentioned in the release notes. Is that right? If yes, when will the wd tv live player also support this file format?

I took the Hard drive from my satellite receiver and plugged it into the WDTV live and it is able to play the TRP files with no problem.  Didn’t do anything special.  Is the WDTV live able to find your hard drive?  Maybe turn the machine off and on again, sometimes does nor see the drive right away.

Sorry I couldn’t be more help.

@bobcat7

Does the Media Player also read   .trp records that are split in several files, due to Fat32 partition. My receiver splits records in several trp files if an record contains more than 1,5 GB of data. The files are then listed as .trp, .001, .002. I wonder if the WD mediaplayer can read all these files and not only the .trp named file. Or does one have to merge the files to 1 .trp file?

Greetings
Vantage1

Has anyone got this issue sorted?

I’m very disappointed to have bought a WDTV Live that’s actually no use to me, as I want it for playing .trp recordings made on my satellite receiver. Unfortunately it only sees the first file in the folder, and there seems to be absolutely no way I can get it to play the entire recording. 

And that’s with SD recordings. HD recordings (1080i)  stutter so much I wouldn’t even want to watch them the whole way through …

keasden wrote:

Has anyone got this issue sorted?

I’m very disappointed to have bought a WDTV Live that’s actually no use to me, as I want it for playing .trp recordings made on my satellite receiver. Unfortunately it only sees the first file in the folder, and there seems to be absolutely no way I can get it to play the entire recording. 

And that’s with SD recordings. HD recordings (1080i)  stutter so much I wouldn’t even want to watch them the whole way through …

Is it reported anywhere that the WDTV LIve would play these recordings? Did you check before you purchased?

I did check in advance. Version 1.02.00 of the WDTV firmware states specifically in the release notes: “Added .TRP file extension support.” 

As I understand it, .trp is not so much a video format as a ‘container’ that holds together split recordings - so I assumed (wrongly, it seems) that “file extension support” meant that the WDTV unit would play the contents of the entire folder, not simply the first file. (The subsequent files in the split recording have the extension .001, .002, etc.)

Well, does it work if you change the extension from .001 to .trp?

Yes and no …

In desperation I’ve tried that today. The WDTV unit then sees both files, but ‘playing’ the folder doesn’t trigger replay of the contents in succession. Nor does the ‘next’ button on the remote start the following files, even though - according to the manual - it’s supposed to play the next file in the same folder. Each subsequent file has to be played manually.

This is of course a big improvement, but it’s still not what the release-notes entry leads a potential buyer to believe, in my opinion. When the very nature of .trp files is that they’re split, then ‘support’ should surely mean that the WDTV plays them the way a satellite receiver would play them - i.e. seamlessly.

keasden wrote:

I did check in advance. Version 1.02.00 of the WDTV firmware states specifically in the release notes: “Added .TRP file extension support.” 

As I understand it, .trp is not so much a video format as a ‘container’ that holds together split recordings - so I assumed (wrongly, it seems) that “file extension support” meant that the WDTV unit would play the contents of the entire folder, not simply the first file. (The subsequent files in the split recording have the extension .001, .002, etc.)

You are absolutely right but unfortunately that firmware is for the WDTV HD gen 1 and not the WDTV Live which you say you have.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/wdtv/index.asp?wdc_lang=en

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/wdtv/releasenotes/WDTVreleasenotes103.pdf  (page 4)